The aim of the present study was the evaluation and comparison between four different Metformin and Vildagliptin tablets which are commercially available in Indian market. These tablets were assessed for various pharmacopoeial quality control tests. Parameters including weight variation, hardness, friability, drug content, and disintegration time were evaluated. Results were within acceptable limits for all selected products (three generic and an innovator). These results show that the tested generic products were biopharmaceutically similar to the innovator formulation. Therefore, the consumer can select any one of these equivalent products as a substitute for innovator product in case of cost concern or unavailability.
Cite this article:
Bhavana Habib, Jyoti Mittha. Quality Evaluation of Generic Products of Metformin and Vildagliptin Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(4):255-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00043
Bhavana Habib, Jyoti Mittha. Quality Evaluation of Generic Products of Metformin and Vildagliptin Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(4):255-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00043 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-4-1
1. Abu D, Mallah, Eyad andTawfiq. Method Development and Validation of Vildagliptin and Metformin HCl in pharmaceutical Dosage Form by Reversed Phase High performance Liquid Chromatography (RP-HPLC). Int J Pharma Sci Res. 2018;(9):2965-2972.
2. Metformin [Internet]. Drug bank [Cited October 8, 2020] Avaiable from:https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00331
3. Vildagliptin [Internet]. Drug bank [Cited October 8, 2020]. Available from: https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB04876
4. Samar Afifi et al. A Comparative Study for Evaluation of Different Brands of Metformin Hydrochloride 500 Mg Tablets Marketed in Saudi Arabia. Life Science Journal 2012;9(4)
5. Akinleye Olusola et al. Comparative Evaluation of Physicochemical Properties of Some Commercially Available Brands of Metformin HCl Tablets in Lagos, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 02 (02); 2012: 41-44.
6. Nigatu et al. Comparative in Vitro Evaluation of Different Brands of Metformin Hydrochloride Film Coated Tablets Marketed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development. 2020; 8(3):42-50.
7. Emara et al. Comparative in vitro dissolution study on metformin market products using Different dissolution apparatuses. Int J Pharm Sci.2019; 11(9): 65-72.
8. Mohammad Haroun et al. Comparative In-vitro Evaluation of Metformin HCl Extended Release Tablets Marketed in Syria.
9. Srinivas Nandyala et al. Comparative Evaluation of Branded and Generic Medicines - Ranitidine and Metformin HCl. International Research Journal of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences (IRJPMS). 2018; 1(4), 24-28.
10. Nour Mammari, Wehad Ibrahim, Mohammad Haroun. Comparative In-vitro Evaluation of Metformin HCl Extended Release Tablets Marketed in Syria. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7):3365-3370
11. Indian Pharmacopoeia 2010; Volume 1: 187-198.