Ultraviolet spectroscopy is one important and advanced analytical instrument in the Pharmaceutical industry and used for the last 35 years. The method of analysis is based on measuring the absorption of monochromatic light by colorless compounds in the near-ultraviolet path of the spectrum (200-400nm). The pharmaceutical analysis comprises the procedures necessary to determine such compounds' “identity, strength, quality, and purity”. It also includes the analysis of raw materials and intermediates during the manufacturing process of drugs. The fundamental principle of operation of a spectrophotometer covering the UV region consists that light of a definite interval of wavelength passes through a cell with solvent and falls onto the photoelectric cell that transforms the radiant energy into electrical energy measured by a galvanometer. Ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy is used to obtain the absorbance spectra of a compound in solution or as a solid.
Cite this article:
Komal P. Shinde, Akash D. Rajmane. A Review UV Method Development and Validation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(2):122-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00021
Komal P. Shinde, Akash D. Rajmane. A Review UV Method Development and Validation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(2):122-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00021 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-2-10
1. Susmeena Tabassum Kapatrala, Vinod Kumar Kondreddy, Swapna Kandlapalli, Tejaswi Male. Method Development and Validation for the Estimation of Etizolam and Propranolol Hydrochloride in bulk and Combined Dosage Forms by Simultaneous and Derivative Spectroscopic Methods. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(4): 263-269.
2. Sushil D. Patil, Sayali K. Chaure, Sanjay Kshirsagar. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for Simultaneous estimation of Empagliflozin and Metformin hydrochloride in bulk drugs. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017; 7(2): 117-123.
3. Agrawal O.D, Telang N.B. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Benfotiamine in Bulk and Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2016; 6(3): 133-137.
4. Santosh Gada, Anand Kumar Y, Saritha, C. Mallikarjuna Setty. UV Spectrophotometric Development and Validation of Zidovudine API and in Marketed Zidovudine Tablet Dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(4): 195-202.
5. K. Pramod, Shahid H. Ansari, Javed Ali. UV Spectrophotometric Method for the Quantification of Eugenol during in Vitro Release Studies. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013; 3(3): 86-89.
6. Mansi J. Chaudhari, Suraj R. Chaudhari, Shailesh S. Chalikwar, Atul A. Shirkhedkar. Application of Area Under Curve Technique for UV- Spectrophotometric Determination of Luliconazole in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(1): 45-48.
7. Sama Venkatesh, Sirimalla Jyothi, Rajeswari Chiluka, Yenumula Padmavathi. Development of UV- Spectrophotometric Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Nateglinide and Piperine in Combined Tablet dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(3): 134-140.
8. G. Krishnamoorthy, C. Diana Priyadarshini, R. Senthamarai. Spectrophotometric method of Choline Bitartrate in bulk and its tablet formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2012; 2(4): 114-115.
9. Mahawar Sheetal. A Simple Ultraviolet Spectrophotometric Method for the Estimation of Docetaxel in Bulk Drug and Formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013; 3(2): 48-52.
10. Shaik Bima Benazir, Jorige Archana, Mogili Sumakanth. Method Development and Validation of Empagliflozin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form using UV Spectroscopy. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(2): 123-126.
11. Pavan Chavan, Sandip Bandgar, Santosh Gejage, Sagar Patil, Shitalkumar Patil. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Itraconazole in Bulk Drug and Solid Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2021; 11(1): 13-16.
12. Audumbar Mali, Santosh Jadhav, Rahul Gorad, Aamer Qazi, Ritesh Bath, Manojkumar Patil, Ashpak Tamboli. Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric Methods for Estimation of Cefixime Trihydrate and Ofloxacin in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(2): 100-106.
13. Jetal Patel, Dhara Patel, Sharav Desai. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Naphazoline Nitrate and Hydrocortisone in Nasal drops. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2016; 6(2): 61-66.
14. K. Vijaya Sri, S. Sravani, M. Shiva Kumar. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Lurasidone in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2015; 5(2): 102-107.
15. Suraj R. Chaudhari, Amod S. Patil, Atul A. Shirkhedkar. Studies on Derivative Spectroscopy and Area Under Curve UV-Spectrophotometric Methods for Estimation of Apremilast in Bulk and In-house Tablets. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018; 8(1): 11-16.
16. Kishan Malviya, Monika Maheshwari, Mahendra Singh Rathore. Spectroscopic method for the quantification of the residue of Tetramethylthionine chloride on a swab from manufacturing equipment in support of cleaning validation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4): 1499-4.
17. M. Sumithra, P. Yuvanesh, Anamika Mistry. Analytical method development and validation of ambroxol hydrochloride by UV spectroscopy and forced degradation study and detection of stability. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(7): 794-800.
18. Peethala Prathyusha, Raja Sundararajan. UV spectrophotometric method for determination of Palestine in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(2): 933-938.
19. Pankaj Kumar, Jane Jacob, Khadjeeth Ajina, Jazeera, Fathima. Spectroscopic Estimation of Tenofovir Alafenamide, an antiretroviral drug. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(5): 538-540.
20. Katari Sravani, S.K. Masthanamma, V. Lakshmi Prasanna, D. Krishna Sowmya, A. Tanuja. Analytical Reagents used in Chemical and Spectrophotometric Analysis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(2): 110-117.
21. Hemlata M. Nimje, Rajesh J. Oswal, Sandip S. Kshirsagar, Manoj Chavan. Spectrophotometric Analysis for Estimation of Felodipine in Tablet Dosage Form by Calibration Curve Method. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(12): 1805-1806.
22. Kumarswamy Ummiti, J.V. Shanmukha Kumar. Applications of Fourier Transform Infrared and UV-Visible Spectroscopy for the demonstrating sameness of Ganirelix peptide in Liquid Injection Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4): 1709-2.
23. Sasikala M, Mohan S, Gokilambal V, et al. Validated UV-Visible Spectroscopic Analytical method development and stability studies on Oseltamivir. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(9): 4323-4328.
24. Vijay BN, Venkatesh DR and Chakravarthy IE. UV-Visible Spectrophotometric Analysis of Zolpidem Tartrate in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(6): 917-919.
25. Meghana JR, Anitha R, Rajeshkumar S, et al. Characterisation of Cumin oil mediated silver nanoparticles using UV-visible spectrophotometer and TEM. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(10): 4931-4933.
26. Santhanabharathi N, Anupama N, Vivek P, et al. In Silico Anti-HIV Analysis of FTIR Identified Bioactive Compounds Present in Vitex altissima L and Vitex leucoxylon L. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(4): 1773-1782.
27. Rajashri R. Kulkarni, Dipti G. Phadtare, Ravindra B. Saudagar. UV Spectrophotometric Method Development and Validation of Fluticasone Propionate. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2016; 6(2): 135-138.
28. Girishchandra R. Mandake, Indrajit S. Patil, Omkar A Patil, Manoj M. Nitalikar, Shriniwas K Mohite. UV Spectroscopy Analysis and Degradation Study of Rivaroxaban. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(2): 57-60.
29. Rohankumar R. Chavan, Somnath D. Bhinge, Mangesh A. Bhutkar, Dheeraj S. Randive. Degradation Study of Furosemide by UV- Visible Spectrophotometry Method in bulk form. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2019; 9(3): 163-168.
30. Audumbar Mali, Ankush Hake, Manoj Patil, Ritesh Bathe, Ashpak Tamboli. Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric Methods for Estimation of Paracetamol and Domperidone in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci., 2016; 6(1): 21-26.
31. Kabita Banik, S. Akshitha, O. V. Poojitha, Ch. Thulasi, V. Vineetha. Evaluation of Antiurolithiatic activity of Moringa leaves by UV Spectroscopic Method. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(3): 141-144.