Vaishali N. Sonawane, Chaitali A. Yeola, Vijayraj N. Sonawane, Khemchand R. Surana1, Dhananjay M. Patil, Deepak D. Sonawane
Vaishali N. Sonawane1, Chaitali A. Yeola1, Vijayraj N. Sonawane1*, Khemchand R. Surana1, Dhananjay M. Patil2, Deepak D. Sonawane2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, SSS’s Divine College of Pharmacy, Nampur Road, Satana, Nashik, Maharashtra, India – 423301.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, SSS’s Divine College of Pharmacy, Nampur Road, Satana, Nashik, Maharashtra, India – 423301.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
Paracetamol is a widely used non-prescription medication and is available in several brands in the market which makes it difficult to select the safe and effective one. Therefore, the study aims to establish the pharmaceutical equivalence of the different brands of paracetamol tablets and to justify the quality of different brands available in the market. The study involves the quantitative analysis of ten different brands of Paracetamol 500 mg tablets, using Ultra Violet Spectrophotometric methods, in which the samples were dissolved in 0.1M sodium hydroxide solution and distilled water and their various absorbances determined at the wavelength (?max) of 257nm. Quantitative estimation of Paracetamol carried out by UV-Visible spectrophotometric methods, by using standard absorptivity value (assay method given in Indian Pharmacopoeia) and calibration curve method. The percentage content for each sample was calculated byboth methods using appropriate formulae and also determined whether or not they comply with standard specifications as per IP. The percentage content of paracetamol in different brands of paracetamol tablets was compared by IP Method. The results obtained by the IP method and Calibration curve method were also compared.
Cite this article:
Vaishali N. Sonawane, Chaitali A. Yeola, Vijayraj N. Sonawane, Khemchand R. Surana1, Dhananjay M. Patil, Deepak D. Sonawane. Estimation of Paracetamol in various brands of Paracetamol Tablets and their Comparative Study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(3):155-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00025
Vaishali N. Sonawane, Chaitali A. Yeola, Vijayraj N. Sonawane, Khemchand R. Surana1, Dhananjay M. Patil, Deepak D. Sonawane. Estimation of Paracetamol in various brands of Paracetamol Tablets and their Comparative Study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(3):155-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00025 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-3-1
1. Thakuri GM, Yadav KK, Chhetri RR. Comparative in-vitro analysis of different brands of paracetamol tablets available in Nepal. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. 2016; 4(8): 645-8.
2. Dilshad H, Naveed S, Rafiq A. Comparative study of four different brands of acetaminophen available In Karachi. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014: 586-90.
3. Behera S, Ghanty S, Ahmad F, Santra S, Banerjee S. Analytical and Bioanalytical techniques UV-visible spectrophotometric method development and validation of assay of paracetamol tablet formulation. Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Techniques. 2012;3(6).
4. Kumar DA, Sreevatsav AS, Kumar MS, Kumar PS, Shankar GS. Analysis of different brands of Paracetamol 500mg tablets used in Hyderabad, using ultra violet spectrophotometric and high performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) methods. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2014; 5(3): 951.
5. Saeed AM. Spectrophotometric determination of paracetamol in some manufactured tablets in Iraqi markets. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2017; 42(2): 53-7.
6. Naveed S, Dilshad H, Sarwar G. Simple Spectrophotometric Assay of Available Brands of Acetaminophen Tablets and their Comparative Study. RADS Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 2(1): 01-4.
7. Alabere HO, Lucky EI, Ogundare AO, Akinwunmi AI, Abimbola TY. Comparative test of physicochemical parameters and microbiological quality of different brands of paracetamol tablets sold in Nigeria. World Scientific News. 2020; 141:12-23.
8. Pujari AS, Gaikwad NA, Mane IV, Vambhurkar GB, Honmane PP. In-Vitro Evaluation of Different Marketed Brands of Paracetamol Tablets Using Quality Control Tests. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;8(3):119-22.
9. Vambhurkar GB, Jagtap AM, Gavade AS, Rajput MD, Kambale HV, Kengar MD. Evaluation of five Different Marketed Brands of Paracetamol Tablets using Quality Control Tests. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 8(4): 227-30.
10. Afifi SA, Al Gohary OM, Al-Shalabi R, Eltahir EK, Darwish HW. Comparative evaluation of the pharmaceutical and chemical equivalence of some commercial brands of acetaminophen tablets. Life Sci. J. 2013; 10: 2385-91.
11. Abdulhameed BR, Mohamed SS, Abdulhameed SR, Aziz DF. Assay of paracetamol tablets from different manufacturing sources in Sulaimani market in Iraq. Diyala Journal of Medicine. 2016;11(1):15-23.
12. Mankulu JK, Ive EE, Kagheni EM, Mavanga TM, Opota DO, Mana DK. Pharmacotechnical and Chemical Study of Paracetamol Sold in Kinshasa-DR Congo: Comparative Quality Assessment of Five Brands. Open Journal of Applied Sciences. 2022; 12(4):501-16.
13. Rathnayake AD, Mannapperuma U, Thambawita D, Herath KP, Galappatthy P, Jayakody RL. Determination of in-vitro Equivalence of Paracetamol Tablets. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies. 2014; 1(2):75-83. DOI:10.4038/ijms.v1i1.41
14. Hammond JP. The use of spectrophotometry in the pharmaceutical industry. In Experimental Methods in the Physical Sciences 2014 Jan 1 (Vol. 46, pp. 409-456). Academic Press.
15. Eraga SO, Arhewoh MI, Chibuogwu RN, Iwuagwu MA. A comparative UV− HPLC analysis of ten brands of ibuprofen tablets. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2015; 5(10): 880-4.
16. Sylvester EO, Mathew AI, Rosemary CN, Magnus IA. A comparative UV-HPLC analysis of ten brands of ibuprofen tablets. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2015: 837-40.
17. Nnadi CO, Agbo MO, Uzor PF, Ugwu LO. Development of differential spectrophotometric method for assay of paracetamol in pure and tablet dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Res. 2013;1(1):15-21.
18. Sahle SB, Ayane AT, Wabe NT. Comparative quality evaluation of paracetamol tablet marketed in Somali region of Ethiopia. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012;3(2):545.
19. Farooq MA, Khan DH, Dar UI, Khan I, Waqas R, Tanvir S, Farooq A, Sohail M. Comparative study of commercially available brands of acetaminophen in Lahore, Pakistan. World JPharm Sci. 2016; 8: 155-62.
20. Young JK, Graham WH, Beard DJ, Hicks RP. The use of UV‐visible spectroscopy for the determination of hydrophobic interactions between neuropeptides and membrane model systems. Biopolymers: Original Research on Biomolecules. 1992; 32(8): 1061-4.
21. Tarawneh OA, Madi AM, Hamed R, Qirem R, Qerem W, Alhusban A, Sunoqrot S, Mahmoud N, Ata S, Alsheikh I. In vitro characterization and evaluation of commercialized paracetamol products in Jordan. Dissolut. Technol. 2019; 26: 36-44.
22. Abhishek S. Pujari, Nitin A. Gaikwad, Indrajeet V. Mane, Ganesh B. Vambhurkar, Pravin P. Honmane. In-Vitro Evaluation of Different Marketed Brands of Paracetamol Tablets Using Quality Control Tests. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (3):119-122.
23. Ganesh B. Vambhurkar, Asha M. Jagtap, Akshata S. Gavade, Manish D. Rajput, Hrutuja V. Kambale, Manohar D. Kengar. Evaluation of five Different Marketed Brands of Paracetamol Tablets using Quality Control Tests. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (4):227-230.
24. Hapse S.A., Bhagat B.V., Wagh V.S., Kadaskar P.T. Cleaning Validation of Paracetamol Tablets as a Dosage Formulation. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2011; 3(5): 215-219.
25. Hemlata M. Nimje, Rajesh J. Oswal, Sandip S. Kshirsagar, Manoj Chavan. Spectrophotometric Analysis for Estimation of Felodipine in Tablet Dosage Form by Calibration Curve Method. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(12): 1805-1806.
26. Mukesh P. Ratnaparkhi, Shilpa P. Chaudhari, Suresh B. Dhiwar, Rahul R. Gurav. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(3): 390-392.
27. Indian Pharmacopoeia (Volume III), Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Govt. of India, 2014, 7th edition, Page No. 2429 and 2434.
28. Talele SG, Ahire ED, Surana KR, Sonawane VN, Talele GS. Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19): A past and Present Prospective. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1): 45-53.
29. Patel JJ, Chorawala H, Dedania ZR, Vijendraswamy SM. Development and Validation of UV Spectroscopic Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Doxofylline and Terbutaline Sulphate in Combined Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(2):74-8.
30. Das V, Sambherao A, Gajare S, Zalte A, Saudagar RB. UV-Spectroscopic Estimation and Validation of Drotaverine Concentration in Bulk and Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(3):188-90.
31. Solanki D, Raj H, Prajapati N. Development and Validation of Analytical Method for Aripiprazole and Escitalopram Oxalate by Simultaneous Equation Spectroscopic Method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(1):41-6.
32. Surana KR, Parkhe AG, Ahire ED, Pawar AR, Khairnar S, Mahajan SK, Patil DM, Sonawane DD, Kshirsagar SJ. Current Therapeutic Targets for Neuropathic Pain. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1): 96-104.
33. Rani NU, Keerthana K, Mitha M, Kumar SS, Kotamma K, Kiran TM. New spectroscopic method for estimation of atorvastatin tablets using hydrotropic solubilization technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(2): 100-4.
34. Surana KR, Mahajan SK. In silico Study of Chromane Ring Compound Rubranonoside from Plumeria rubra as Anticancer Potential. Trends in Sciences. 2022; 19(24): 3305.
35. Pattanayak S, Prasanna AA, Kiranmayi C, Padmalatha K. Analytical UV spectroscopic method development and validation for the estimation of mycophenolate Mofetil. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(4):209-13.
36. Sri KV, Deepthi S, Madhuri M, Aishwarya PV. Development and Validation of UV Spectroscopic by Q-absorption Ratio, RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Atazanvir and Ritonavir in bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2019; 9(3): 138-50.