Manda Pravalika, Jorige Archana
Manda Pravalika1, Jorige Archana2*
1Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy, Osmania University, Hyderabad, 500027, Telangana, India.
2Department of Pharmacology, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy,
Osmania University, Hyderabad, 500027, Telangana, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
One of the most compelling reasons for food analysis is to ensure that it is safe for both consumers and producers. Sodium benzoate is a popular food ingredient that can be found in a variety of foods and beverages. To measure sodium benzoate in the UV-region, a rapid and simple Spectrophotometric method was devised and validated according to International Conference on Harmonization (ICH Q2 R1) principles. Distilled water was used to make the standard and sample solutions. At 224nm, the maximum absorbance (?max) was obtained. In the range of 1-40 µg/ml, the calibration curve was linear. The intra-day and inter-day percent RSDs were found to be 0.08 and 0.17, respectively. 0.031 and 0.093 were found to be the LOD and LOQ, respectively. The % RSD for robustness was found to be 0.86, while the % RSD for ruggedness was found to be 0.35. The proposed method was rapid, simple, precise and economic and can be adapted to routine quality control of beverages having Sodium benzoate.
Cite this article:
Manda Pravalika, Jorige Archana. A New Validated Spectroscopic Method for the estimation of Sodium Benzoate in Soft drinks. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(1):13-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00003
Manda Pravalika, Jorige Archana. A New Validated Spectroscopic Method for the estimation of Sodium Benzoate in Soft drinks. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(1):13-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00003 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-3
1. Busi S, Bekele G. Assessment of depressive symptoms related to overconsumption of soft drinks among university students, Hawassa University, Hawassa, Ethiopia. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2015;3(4):393-9.
2. Kathirvel S, Raju R, Fasla KK, Shahana VP. An Overview of Sample Preparation Techniques for Food Analysis. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2017;7(1):48-51.
3. Ashurst PR, Chemistry and Technology of Soft Drinks and Fruit Juices, Wiley-Blackwell, Hereford, UK, 2nd edition, 2005
4. Lindsay RC. Food additives. In Fennema’s food chemistry, pp. 803-864). CRC Press, 2017.
5. Türkoğlu Ş. Genotoxicity of five food preservatives tested on root tips of Allium cepa L. Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis. 2007 Jan 10;626(1-2):4-14.
6. Zengin N, Yüzbaşıoğlu D, Ünal FA, Yılmaz S, Aksoy H. The evaluation of the genotoxicity of two food preservatives: sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2011 Apr 1;49(4):763-9.
7. Hong H, Liang X, Liu D. Assessment of benzoic acid levels in milk in China. Food Control. 2009 Apr 1;20(4):414-8.
8. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Code of Federal Regulations; Title 21 Volume 6, Section 582.3733 sodium benzoate; U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, Revised April 1, 2003.
9. Manual of method of analysis food safety and standards authority of India ministry of health and family welfare government of India New Delhi.
10. Bajaj A, John C. Simultaneous determination of p-hydroxybenzoate preservatives in pharmaceuticals and personal care formulations. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2015;8(6):394-8.
11. Bajaj A, John C, Tripathi RM, Choudhury J. Validated RP-capillary HPLC-DAD method for Simultaneous analysis of some Paraben Preservatives in Pharmaceutical and Cosmetics/Personal care Formulations. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2017;7(4):229-34.
12. Bajaj A, John C, Choudhury J, Tripathi RM. Development and Validation of Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Some Preservatives in Personal Care, Cosmetics and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2017;9(3):308-12.
13. Kulkarni NS, Ranpise NS, Dhole SN, Mohan G. Physico-Chemical Evaluation and in-vitro Release Studies of irbesartan: βcyclodextrin: soluplus Ternary Inclusion Complex, Research J. Pharm and Tech. 2014 Sep 29;7(9):987-94.
14. Ganesh Shinde et al. Review on Advances in UV Spectroscopy. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2020; 12(1): 47-51.
15. Benazir SB, Archana J, Sumakanth M. Method development and validation of empagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form using UV spectroscopy. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021 May 13;11(2):123-6.
16. Sahoo CK, Sudhakar M, Ramana DV, Satyanarayana K, Panda KC. Validation of Analytical Procedures-A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2018;8(2):109-16
17. ICH harmonized tripartite guidelines. Stability testing of new drugs substance and products Q2(R1) 2005 Nov. Geneva, Switzerland.
18. Antakli S, Alahmad A, Badingki H. Simultaneous Determination of Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate Preservatives in Foodstuffs Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010;3(1):178-82.
19. Vivek reddy M, Aruna G, Angala parameswari S, Haseena banu B and Jayachandra reddy P, Estimated daily intake and exposure of sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate through food products in school children of tirupati, india, Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 7, 2015, 129-133.