S. Subramanya Raj Urs, Bindu M., Ramyashree D., Sowmya K. N.
S. Subramanya Raj Urs*, Bindu M., Ramyashree D., Sowmya K. N.
Post Graduate Department of Chemistry, JSS College for Women, Sarawathipuram, Mysuru 570 009.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Present study describes development and validation of UV- Spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Cetirizine Hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparation. In the proposed methods methanol, water and 0.1N NaOH solution is employed. Absorption maxima was determined with 10µg/ml solution by scanning in the range 200-400nm. Standard and stock solution was prepared in methanol, (?max :238nm), water and 0.1N NaOH (?max: 230nm). The proposed methods obey Beer’s law in the range 2-60µg/ml. The methods ware validated in terms of linearity, precision and accuracy. Results of analysis were validated statistically and by recovery studies. It was observed that there is no interference of impurities or excipients during the estimation of drug. This shows the adoptability of the methods for the routine quantitative analysis of drug in marketed formulations and conduction of analysis at less cost compared to other instrumental methods.
Cite this article:
S. Subramanya Raj Urs, Bindu M., Ramyashree D., Sowmya K. N. Spectrophotometric method for the Estimation of Cetirizine Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical preparation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(4):185-188. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2020.00034.4
1. Sweetman SC (ed) (2011) Martindale, the complete drug reference,37th edition. The Pharmaceutical Press, London.
2. British Pharmacopoeia (2013) vol II, The stationary office, electronic version, London, pp 305,1227,1099.
3. Karakus S, Kucukguzel I, Kucukguzel SG (2008) Development and validation of rapid RP-HPLC method for the determination of Cetirizine or ferofenadine with psedoephedrine in binary pharmaceutical dosage form, J Pharm Biomed Anal 46 :295 – 302.
4. Moncrieff J (1992) determination of Cetirizine in serum using reversed phase high performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet spectrophotometric detection. J Chromatogr B 583:128-130.
5. Sunil K, Yogesh K, Abhizith K (2013) Simultaneous estimation of Cetirizine hydrochloride, Phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride and paracetimol by PR-HPLC method. Int.J Pharm life Sci (IJPLS) 4:3122-3132.
6. Suryan AL, Bhusari VK, Rasal KS, Dhaneshwar SR (2011) Simultaneous determination quantitation and validation of paracetamol, phenylproponalamine hydrochloride and Cetirizine hydrochloride by RP-HPLC in bulk drug and formulation. Int. J Pharm Sci Drud Res 3:303-308.
7. Makhija SN and Vavia PR (2001) Stability indicating HPTLC method for the simultaneous determination of Pseudoephedrine and Cetirizine in pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 25:663-667.
8. Azhagvuel S, and Sekar R (2007) method development and validation for the Simultaneous determination of cetirizine in pharamaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 25:663-667.
9. Wankhede S.B, Lad K.A and Chitlange S.S (2012) Development and validation for the simultaneous determination of cetirizine dihydrochloride, paracetamol, and phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride in tablets. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 4:222-226.
10. S. Gopalkrishan, T. A. Chithra, A. Aruna, and A. Chenthilnathan, “Development of RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of ambroxyl hydrochloride, Cetirizine hydrochloride and anti microbial presentation in combined dosage form. Der Pharma Chemical, Vol,4, No.3, pp.1003-1015,2012.
11. M. Maithani, R. Raturi, V. Gautham, D. Kumar, A. Garurav, and R. Singh, “Simultaneous estimation of ambroxyl hydrochloride and Cetirizine hydrochloride in tablet dosage form by Rp-HPLC method; International Journal of Comprehensive Pharmacy, Volume. 2 No.3 pp. 1-3,2010.
12. T.P. kumar, M.A. Haque, K.P, Kumar, G. Nevedita, and V.P. Dewan, “Simultaneous determination of cetirizine dosage form by using RP-HPLC method, American Journal of Pharm Tech Research, Vol.2, No. 6, pp.716-723,2012.
13. M.G. Raja, G. Geetha, A. Sankaranarayan, K.M.G. raju, and P.S, Kumar, “Simultaneous and stability indicating method for determination of Cetirizine hydrochloride and ambroxyl hydrochloride in syrup. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, Volume,3, No.8, pp.2658-2668,2012.
14. N.M. Bhatia, S.K. Ganbavale, M.S. Bhtia, H.N. More, and S.V. Kokil, “RP-HPLC and spectroscopic estimation of ambroxyl hydrochloride and cetirizine hydrochloride in combined dosage form, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Volume 70, No.5, pp.603-608,2008.
15. B.A. Patel, S.G. Patel, D.P. Patel, and M.M. Patel, “stability indicating HPTLC method development and validation for estimation of ambroxyl hydrochloride and cetirizine hydrochloride in combine tablet dosage form, International Research Journal of Pharmacy, Volume.2, No.3, pp.95-99,2011.
16. P. Arora, V. Arora, and S. Jain, “Simulataneous estimation of cetirizine dihydrochloride formulation by a novel HPLC method, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. Volume.2, no.12, pp.3149-3151,2012.
17. P. Venkateshwari, G.V.S., Kumar, S.B. Puranic et al.,” Development of stability. Indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of ambroxyl hydrochloride and cetirizine hydrochloride”. International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutical Analysis, Volume.2, No.2, pp.34-40,2012.
18. Berajdar AS, Meyyanathan RB, Kreshanaveni N. Simultaneous estimation of ambroxyl hydrochloride and cetirizine hydrochloride in combine dosage form. Indian Journal of Pharmari, 2008,4:411-421.
19. Laxshman P.S, Shirwainkar AA. Shirwaikar A.K., Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric determination of ambroxyl hydrochloride and Levocetirizine di hydrochloride. Indian Journal of Pharmari, 2008,70(2),236-238.
20. Tejaswini tonde et, al., Simultaneous estimation of Cetirizine hydrochloride and phenylephrine hydrochloride in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research, 2017;8(12), 465-472.
21. Bhatia NG, More H.S. Spectrophotometric estimation of Ambroxol and Cetirizine hydrochloride in tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceuticals, 2008,76(3):45-47.
22. Drozd. J, Hopkala H, Mesztal G, Paw. B. Applications of derivative UV-spectrophotometry for the determination of cetirizine dihydrochloride in preparations, Acta poloniac Pharmaceutical Drug research 2002 ;59(1):3-7.
23. Jaber AMY, Al Sherife HA, Al Omari MM, AA. Determination of Cetirizine dihydrochloride, related impurities and preservatives in oral solution and tablet dosage forms using HPLC, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2004;36:341-350.
24. El Walily AFM, Korany MA, El Gendy A, Bedair MF,” Spectrophotometric and HPLC determination of cetirizine dihydrochloride in Pharmaceutical tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 1998; 17:435-442.
25. Makhija SN, Vavia PR Stability indicating HPTLC method for the simultaneous determination of Pseudoephedrine and Cetirizine in pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal., 2001 25:663 -667.