Komal Pawar, Poournima Sankpal, Sachin Patil, Pranali Patil, Ashwini Pawar, Prathamesh Shinde
Komal Pawar*, Poournima Sankpal, Sachin Patil, Pranali Patil, Ashwini Pawar, Prathamesh Shinde
Ashokrao Mane College of Pharmacy, Peth-Vadgaon, Kolhapur Maharashtra.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Most drugs based on herbal plants for manufacturing of chemicals; hence herbal plants are major importance in biotechnology research. Many herbal constituents used as flavors, fragrances, pharmaceutical chemicals and food colors in India. The most of the herbal product were prepared from plant extracts, which contain different phytochemical constituents (plant secondary metabolite). The amount and identity of produced compound was correlated with therapeutic effect. The GC-MS used to analyze the extracted extract, that is useful for the determining the quantity of active principles in herbal plants used in cosmetics, medicines, food industries and pharmaceutical. The purpose of this study was to use gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy to identify the bioactive compound from entire plants. The GC-MS analyze the presence of various alkaloid, terpenoid, flavonoidal and glycoside phytoconstituents in herbal plants.
Cite this article:
Komal Pawar, Poournima Sankpal, Sachin Patil, Pranali Patil, Ashwini Pawar, Prathamesh Shinde. Applications of GC-MS used in Herbal plants. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(1):53-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00010
Komal Pawar, Poournima Sankpal, Sachin Patil, Pranali Patil, Ashwini Pawar, Prathamesh Shinde. Applications of GC-MS used in Herbal plants. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(1):53-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00010 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-10
1. Y. Gavamukalya, F. Abou- Elella, F. Wamunyokoli, H. AEI-Shemy. GC-MS Analysis of Bioactive Phytochemical present in EthanolicExtracts of Leaves of Annona muricata: A further evidence for its Medicinal Diversity. Pharmacognosy Journal, Vol7, Issue 5, sep-oct, 2015: 300.
2. A. Lordache, M. Culea, C. Gherman, O. Cozar Nuclear Instruments and Methods I’m physics Research B 267(2009):338.
3. Rukshana MS, Doss A and Kumaripushpa Rani TP. Phytochemical screening and GC-MS Analysis of Leaf Extract of pergulari adaemia (Forssk) chiov. Asian Journal of plant science and Research, 2017, 7(1):10.
4. https://www.creativeproteomics.com/blog/index.php/introduction-to-gas -chromatography-principles-characteristic-and-process/
6. A. Fauzi A, Rubaye, G. J. Mohammed, I. H. Hameed Determination of alkaloid compounds of Datura stramonium using GC-MS and FTIR and Evaluation of it’s Antibacterial, Antifungal and Anti-Diabetic Activity. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development, March 2018, vol. 9, No.3: 364.
7. R. Gotti, J. Fiori, M. Bartolini, V. Cavrini. Analysis of Amaryllidaceae alkaloids from Narcissus by GC-MS and capillary electrophoresis. Journal of pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 42(2006):21.
8. Sentil Kumar M, Vinothkumar D, Sarvana Kumar A, Aslam A, Shajahan A. The phytochemical constituents of Withania somnifera and Withania obtusifolia by GC-MS Analysis. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research 2011; 3(3):32.
9. R. suau. Direct determination of alkaloid contents in Fumaria species by GC-MS. Phytochem Analysis Nov-Dec 2002.
10. E. Kowalczyk, Z. Sieradzki, K. Kwiatek. Determination of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in honey with sensitive GC-MS method. Food Analytical Methods (2018)11:1347.
11. A. Meshram, A. Kumar, N. srivastava GC-MS analysis of Alkaloids isolated from Epipremnum aureum Bunting. IJPSR. Vol6.No.02 Feb 2015; 338.
12. M. C. Fernandez, O. Cuesta- Ribio, Aristidies R. Perez, R. M. Deoca Porto, I.M. Hernandez, A.L. Picconelli, L. Rastrelli. GC-MS determination of Isoflavonoids in seven Red Cuban Propolis sample J. Agric. Food Chem., 2008, 56:9930.
13. Paranthaman R, Praveen Kumar P, Kumaravels, GC-MS Analysis of Phytochemical and simultaneous determination flavonoids in Amaranthus Caudatus by RP-HPLC. J Anal Bioanal Techniques 2012, 3:5; 2.
14. K. Zhang, Y. Zuo. GC-MS determination of flavonoids and phenolic and benzoic acids in human plasma after consumption of cranberry juice. J Agric. Food Chem.2004, 52, 222.
15. Abbey Fausett. Analysis of terpene and terpenoid content in Cannabis sativa using Headspace with GC/MSD: 1.
16. A. Akhgari. Determination of terpenoid indole alkaloids in hairy roots of Rhazya Stricta by GC-MS. Phytochem Anal, 2015:2.
17. T.I. Edewor, S.O. owa, A. O. Ologa Quantitative determination of the saponins content and GC-MS study of medicinal plant Cassythafii formis leaves. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. 2016; 4(2):155.