Ajay I. Patel, Shweta V. Gosai, Amikumar J. Vyas, Nilesh K. Patel, Ashok B. Patel
Dr. Ajay I. Patel, Shweta V. Gosai*, Dr. Amikumar J. Vyas, Dr. Nilesh K. Patel, Dr. Ashok B. Patel
Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance Department, B. K. Mody Government Pharmacy College, Rajkot, Gujarat, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
To develop sensitive, accurate, precise and understandable UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of Propranolol hydrochloride and Rosuvastatin calcium in synthetic mixture. First order derivative simultaneous estimation was carried out by using UV visible double beam spectrophotometer. Propranolol hydrochloride and rosuvastatin calcium exhibited absorbance at working wavelength 239.43nm and 249.03nm respectively using distilled water as a solvent. Linearity was found in range of 1-24µg/ml for propranolol hydrochloride and rosuvastatin calcium. Accuracy was obtained between 95.40-103.40% that is 101.50% for Propranolol hydrochloride and 100.16% for Rosuvastatin calcium. Method was validated for its linearity, accuracy, precision, LOD, LOQ and robustness as per ICH guidelines. The aforementioned method was found specified for estimation of synthetic mixture without interference.
Cite this article:
Ajay I. Patel, Shweta V. Gosai, Amikumar J. Vyas, Nilesh K. Patel, Ashok B. Patel. UV Spectrophotometric Estimation of Propranolol Hydrochloride and Rosuvastatin Calcium in Synthetic mixture using First Order Derivative Method. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(4):189-194. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2020.00035.6
1. Indian pharmacopoeia. Government of India. Vol-II. Ghaziabad: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Published by The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. 2018; pp 3023.
2. Elison Brayfield et al; Editors. Martindale - The complete drug referenc, Pharmaceutical press UK. 2014; 358th ed: pp 1479.
3. Indian pharmacopoeia. Government of India. Vol-II. Ghaziabad: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Published by The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. 2018; pp 3141.
4. Elison Brayfield et al; Editors. Martindale - The complete drug referenc, Pharmaceutical press UK. 2014; 358th ed: pp 1488.
5. El-Abasawi NM, Attia KA, Abo-serie AA, Fattah AA. Simultaneous Determination of Rosuvastatin and Propranolol by HPLC in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Analytical Chemistry Letters. 2018; 8(1): 46-53.
6. El-Abasawi NM, Attia KA, Abo-serie AA, Fattah AA. Simultaneous Determination of Rosuvastatin and Propranolol by HPLC in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Analytical Chemistry Letters. 2018; 8(1): 46-53.
7. Shinde NG and Aloorkar NH. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of propranolol hydrochloride and rosuvastatin calcium in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutics. 2015; 4(5): 55-59.
8. El-Abasawi NM, Attia KA, Abo-serie AA, Fattah AA. Simultaneous determination of rosuvastatin and propranolol in their binary mixture by synchronous spectrofluorimetry. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2018; 46-53.
9. Bhandari A, Kumar B and Patel R. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Propranolol in Tablet Dosage Form. Asian journal of chemistry. 2008; 20(1): 802-804.
10. Martins SM, da Rosa FM, Souza F, Galan V, Müller V and Andreazza IF. Development and validation of analytical methodology for quantification of propranolol hydrochloride in a multiparticulate biphasic system by UV-vis spectrophotometry. Acta scientiarum chemistry. 2018; 40(1): 1-7.
11. El-Didamony AM. A sensitive spectrophotometric method for the determination of propranolol HCl based on oxidation bromination reactions. Drug testing and analysis. 2010; 2: 122-129.
12. Prashanth KN and Basavaiah K. Simple and Rapid Spectrophotometric Determination of Propranolol Hydrochloride as Base Form in Pharmaceutical Formulation through Charge Transfer Complexation. Chemical Sciences Journal. 2012; 1-12.
13. El-Emam AA, Belal FF, Moustafa MA, Ashry SM, El-Sherbiny DT and Hansen SH. Spectrophotometric determination of propranolol in formulation via oxidative coupling with 3-methyl benzothiazoline-2-one hydrazone. Il Farmaco. 2003; 58: 1179-1186.
14. Gupta VD. Quantitation of propranolol hydrochloride in pharmaceutical dosage form by HPLC. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 1985; 11(11): 1931-1937.
15. Saleem K, Ali I, Umma K and Aboul-Enein H. Recent Developments in HPLC Analysis of b-Blockers in Biological Samples. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2013; 51: 807–818.
16. Santoro MI, Cho HS and Kedor-Hackmann ER. Enantiomeric Separation and Quantitative Determination of Propranolol in Tablets by Chiral High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2001; 27(7): 693–697.
17. Shaker HA, Qinna NA, Hroub HA, Omari MM and Badwan AA. RP-HPLC–UV Method for the Quantification of Propranolol in Rat's Serum and Krebs Buffer Using One-Step Protein Precipitation. Acta Chromatographica 2016.
18. Takka S. Propranolol hydrochloride anionic polymer binding interaction. Il Farmaco. 2003; 58: 1051-1056.
19. Marques Junior JM, Muller AL, Foletto EL, Costa AB, Bizzi CA and Muller EI. Determination of Propranolol Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Preparations Using Near Infrared Spectrometry with Fiber Optic Probe and Multivariate Calibration Methods. Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry. 2015.
20. Gotardo MA, Tognolli JO, Pezza HR and Pezza L. Detection of propranolol in pharmaceutical formulations by diffuse reflectance spectroscopy. Spectrochimica Acta Part A. 2007; 69: 1103–1109.
21. Ruso JM, Attwood D, Rey C, Taboada P, Mosquera V and Sarmiento F. Light Scattering and NMR Studies of the Self-Association of the Amphiphilic Molecule Propranolol Hydrochloride in Aqueous Electrolyte Solutions. J. Phys. Chem. 1999; 103: 7092-7096.
22. Subaihi A, Almanqur L, Muhamadali H, Almasoud N, Ellis DI, Trivedi DK, Hollywood KA, Xu Y and Goodacre R. Rapid, accurate, and quantitative detection of propranolol in multiple human biofluids via surface-enhanced Raman scattering. Analytical chemistry. 2016.
23. Singh H, Gupta RD, Gautam G. Determination of Rosuvastatin Calcium in bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage forms by using UV-Spectrophotometric method. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2018; 4(1): 45-48.
24. Ramadani A, Mandil H and Alshelhawi N. Spectrophotometric determination of rosuvastatin calcium in pure form and pharmaceutical formulations by oxidative using iodine and formation triiodide complex in acetonitrile. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 695): 579-585.
25. Ramadani A, Mandil H and Ali RF. Spectrophotometric determination of rosuvastatin calcium in pure form and pharmaceutical formulations through ion pair complex formation using bromocresol. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 7911: 191-198.
26. Lima MF, Cassella RJ and Pacheco WF. Spectrophotometric determination of rosuvastatin in pharmaceutical formulations using quinalizarin. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 53(3): 1-8.
27. Gupta A, Mishra P and Shah K. Simple UV Spectrophotometric Determination of Rosuvastatin Calcium in Pure Form and in Pharmaceutical Formulations. E-Journal of Chemistry. 2009; 6(1): 89-92.
28. Jain PS, Kale NK and Surana SJ. Quantitative estimation of Rosuvastatin in bulk and tablet dosage form by using area under curve method. Journal of pharmaceutical and bioscience. 2014; 4: 128-133.
29. Ângelo ML, Moreira FL, Ruela AM, Santos AL, Salgado HR and Araújo MB. Analytical Methods for the Determination of Rosuvastatin in Pharmaceutical Formulations and Biological Fluids: A Critical Review. Critical Reviews in Analytical Chemistry. 2018.
30. Bozhanov S and Maslarska V. Spectroscopic and high-performance liquid chromatography methods for determination of statins Review Articles. Pharmacia. 2016; 63: 35-48.
31. Caglar S and Toker S. Determination of Rosuvastatin at Picogram Level in Serum by Fluorimetric Derivatization with 9-Anthryldiazomethane using HPLC. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2013; 53–58.
32. Pandya CB, Channabasavaraj KP, Chudasama JD and Mani TT. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for determination of rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2010; 5(1): 82-86.
33. Hazra K, Chowdary A, Devgan M, Shukla R, Sarkar B and Suryawanshi A. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for estimation of rosuvastatin calcium solid dispersions tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical research. 2014; 4(3): 122-125.
34. Trivedi HK and Patel MC. Development and Validation of a Stability-Indicating RP-UPLC Method for Determination of Rosuvastatin and Related Substances in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2012; 393-406.
35. Reddy GR, Reddy PR and Jyothi PS. Development of a Stability-Indicating Stereo selective Method for Quantification of the Enantiomer in the Drug Substance and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form of Rosuvastatin Calcium by an Enhanced Approach. Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2014; 80: 279-296.
36. Raj HA, Rajput SJ, Dave JB and Patel CN. Development and validation of two chromatographic stability-indicating methods for determination of rosuvastatin in pure form and pharmaceutical preparation. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2009; 1(3): 677-689.
37. Nadia MM, Badawey AM, Lamie NT and El-Aziz B. Selective chromatographic methods for the determination of rosuvastatin calcium in the presence of its acid degradation products. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies. 2014; 37(15): 2182–2196.
38. Litvi´ca M, Smica K, Vinkovi V and Filipan-Litvi M. A study of photodegradation of drug rosuvastatin calcium in solid state and solution under UV and visible light irradiation: The influence of certain dyes as efficient stabilizers. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry. 2013; 525: 84– 92.
39. Shah A, Iqbal Z, Ahmad L, Nazir S, Watson DG, Khuda F, Khan A, Khan MI, Khan A and Fazli N. Determination of Rosuvastatin and Its Metabolite N-Desmethyl Rosuvastatin in Human Plasma by Liquid Chromatography–High Resolution Mass Spectrometry: Method Development, Validation and Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies. 2014.
40. Siddartha B and Babu S. Estimation and validation for determination of rosuvastatin in human plasma by lc/ms/ms method. Journal of Global Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 5(3): 1979–1988.
41. Sultana N, Arayne MS and Ali NS. An Ultra-Sensitive LC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Rosuvastatin, Alprazolam and Diclofenac Sodium in API, Pharmaceutical Formulations and Human Serum by Programming the Detector. Analytical and Bioanalytical Techniques. 2012; 3(7).
42. Hassouna M, Abdel-Mageed AI and Salem HO. Indirect Oxygen Flask-Atomic Absorption Spectrometric Determination of Rosuvastatin Calcium. Biomedical journal of scientific and technical research. 2007; 1(2).
43. Daharwal S. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of Diazepam and Propranolol in bulk drug and its formulations. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(1): 20-23.
44. Savaj B, Patidar AK and Raj H. Simultaneous determination of Propranolol hydrochloride and Hydrochlorothiazide in tablets formulation using spectrophotometric technique (Simultaneous equation method). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2014; 5(1): 36-40.
45. Savaj B, Patidar AK and Raj H. Simultaneous determination of Propranolol hydrochloride and Hydrochlorothiazide in tablets formulation using spectrophotometric technique (Simultaneous equation method). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 5(1): 31-36.
46. Sireesha D, Lakshmi M and bakshi V. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous estimation of Rosuvastatin and Ezetimibe in pharmaceutical dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 7(3): 135-140.
47. Telrandhe R. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometry and RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Rosuvastatin and Clopidogrel in Tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2018; 8(1): 25-32.
48. Godavariya V, Prajapati PB, Bodiwala KB and Shah SA. Development and validation of two spectrophotometric methods for the simultaneous estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium and Aspirin in their combined dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(2): 275-278.
49. Ladke A, Ingle A, Ranaware P and Damle M. Development and validation of stability indicating HPLC method for Rosuvastatin calcium and Fenofibrate in combination. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(5): 606-610.
50. Moodbrindi PV, et al. A new simultaneous determination of Rosuvastatin calcium and its Lactone impurity by reverse phase HPLC method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research.2015; 5(4): 175-182.
51. Borole T, Dewani M, Gandhi S and Damle M. Simultaneous estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium and Fenofibrate in their combined tablet dosage form by HPLC method. Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(10): 1557-1561.
52. Karkhanis V, Parikh V and Panchal R. Estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium in tablet dosage form by HPTLC method. Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(8): 1206-1209.
53. ICH- Harmonized Tripartite Guideline, "Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2 (R1)." International Conference on Harmonization, IFPMA, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005.