Tripti Jain, Amber Vyas, Darshan Dubey, Kamlesh Dashora, Vishal Jain
Tripti Jain1, Amber Vyas2, Darshan Dubey3, Kamlesh Dashora3, Vishal Jain2*
1Chhattisgarh Food and Drug Administration, Mahasamund (CG).
2University Institute of Pharmacy, Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur (C.G.).
3Institute of Pharmacy, Vikram University, Ujjain (MP).
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Hab-e-Azarakhi is an important Unani formulation, is official in Unani Pharmacopoeia. The formulation is dispensed for the tone up the nervous system and liver. It is also useful for increase the appetite. Fingerprinting of active principles through modern analytical tools is essential for establishing the authenticity, creditability, prescription and usage of Traditional medicines/herbal formulations. Selective and efficient analytical methods are required not only for quality assurance but also for authentication of herbal formulations. The present study is an attempt to develop Fingerprint method for Hab-e-Azarakhi with High Performance Liquid chromatography (HPLC) using piperine as a standard was developed. The estimation was carried out with three laboratory batches and one marketed formulation of Hab-e-Azarakhi. The concentration of piperine content of Hab-e-Azarakhi (three laboratory batches) and powdered Piper nigrum and Piper longum was carried out separately. The concentration of piperine present in raw material was found to be 2.9876±0.837%w/w in Piper nigrum and 0.9363±0.167% w/w in Piper longum and in three identical laboratory batches of Hab-e- Azarakhi HA-I, HA-II and HA-III 1.8121±0.739%, 1.8806±0.439%, 1.8901±0.779% w/w respectively, while in M-I it was 1.2108 ± 0.182%. The developed HPLC method is simple, rapid, precise and accurate for routine estimation piperine in Hab-e- Azarakhi.
Cite this article:
Tripti Jain, Amber Vyas, Darshan Dubey, Kamlesh Dashora, Vishal Jain. Development of HPLC Fingerprinting Method via Estimation of Piperine for Unani Formulation Hab-e-Azarakhi. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(4):258-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00042
Tripti Jain, Amber Vyas, Darshan Dubey, Kamlesh Dashora, Vishal Jain. Development of HPLC Fingerprinting Method via Estimation of Piperine for Unani Formulation Hab-e-Azarakhi. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(4):258-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00042 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-7
1. Unani Pharmacopoeia (formulary of Unani Medicine), 4th , edition,. Formulary of Unani Medicine. 4th ed., published by Indian Medical Practitioners Cooperative Pharmacy and Store Ltd (IMPCOPS), Chennai, 2004:25.
2. Tripti Jain, and Kamlesh Dashora. Spectrophotometric fingerprinting method for Unani formulation Hab-e-Azarakhi. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2012; 2(1): 01-03
3. Tripti Jain, Amber Vyas, Darshan Dubey, Kamlesh Dashora, Vishal Jain. Development of fingerprinting method for Siddha formulation Nilaavaarai chooranam: A HPTLC approach, Asian J. Research Chem., 2022:15, (5), 327-330
4. Jain V., Saraf S., and Saraf S. Spectrophotometric determination of Piperine in Trikatu Churna: An Ayurvedic Formulation, Asian Journal of Chemistry,2007, 19, (7), 5331-5335.
5. World Health Organization, Quality Control Methods for Medicinal Plants Materials, Geneva, 1998, 1-15.
6. WHO general guidelines for methodologies on research and evaluation of traditional medicine. (2000): http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2000/WHO_EDM_TRM_2000.1.pdf.
7. Gupta M., Chaudhary P.H., Mukund G. Shrivastava T.B. Need and scope of standardization of herbal medicines - A review. International Journal of Green Pharmacy. Oct-Dec 2021 ,16 (1) ,346-352.
8. Indian Herbal Pharmacopoeia, Regional Research Laboratory Jammu, Indian drug Manufacturing Association Mumbai. 1999.
9. Gurinderdeep S, Piperine: A Remarkable Marker with Intense Biological Activity, International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Chinese Medicine, 2017, 1(4): 122.