Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Sonali B. Mishra, A. B. Patel, N. K. Patel, S. R. Shah, D. B. Sheth
Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Sonali B. Mishra, A. B. Patel, N. K. Patel, S. R. Shah, D. B. Sheth
1B. K. Mody Government Pharmacy College, Rajkot, Gujrat (India).
2L. M. College of Pharmacy, Ahmedabad, Gujarat (India).
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Liquid Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry is a powerful analytical technique having high Sensitivity and Specificity. LC-MS combines the separation capabilities of Liquid Chromatography with the mass analysis capabilities of Mass Spectrometry. Liquid Chromatography separates the mixture, which is having multiple components, and then Mass Spectrometry provides the Spectral information which is used to identify each separated component. Interfaces are used in LC-MS system to transfer the maximum amount of analyte, remove a significant portion of the mobile phase, and preserves the chemical identity. Different types of Interfaces are used which include Atmospheric-Pressure Ionization, Electrospray Ionization, Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization, Thermospray and Plasma Spray Ionization, Particle Beam Ionization, Continuous Flow Fast Atom Bombardment. LC-MS having a wide range of application in various field which include Pharmaceutical, Drug Development, Forensic Science, Cosmetic, Petrochemistry, Environment, Food Analysis, Biochemical Application. In this article Principle, Instrument and Application are discussed briefly.
Cite this article:
Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Sonali B. Mishra, A. B. Patel, N. K. Patel, S. R. Shah, D. B. Sheth. A Brief Review on Liquid Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry/LCMS and its Application. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(3):203-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00034
Amit Kumar J. Vyas, Sonali B. Mishra, A. B. Patel, N. K. Patel, S. R. Shah, D. B. Sheth. A Brief Review on Liquid Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry/LCMS and its Application. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(3):203-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00034 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-8
1. Beckett AH and Stenlake GH. Practical Pharmaceutical Chemistry. fourth ed., CBS Publishers and distributors, New Delhi. 2005.
2. Sharma BK. Instrumental methods of chemical analysis, twenty third ed., Goel Publishing House, Meerut,
3. Kumar PR, Dinesh SR, and Rini R. LCMS- A Review and a Recent Update. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2016, 378.
4. Sethi PD. High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Quantitative analysis of Pharmaceutical Formulation. CBS Publication, New Delhi,2001
5. Bhole RP et al. Zambare YB. Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Technique-A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(1):505-16.
6. Saibaba SV et al. Mini Review on LC/MS techniques. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2016, 2383-2386.
7. Kebarle P. A brief overview of the present status of the mechanisms involved in electroscopy mass spectrometry. J Mass Spectrum. 2000, 804-817.
8. Covey TR et al. Comparison of Thermospray and Ion Spray Mass spectrometry in an Atmospheric Pressure Ion Source. Organic Mass Spectrometry. 1998, 178-181.
9. Kauppila TJ et al. Negative ion-atmospheric pressure photoionization-Mass Spectrometry. Journal of American Society for Mass Spectrometry. 2004, 203-211.
10. Shelke PG et al. Liquid Chromatography in conjunction with Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS). International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences. 2012, 1532-1538.
11. Pavia DL et al. Introduction to Spectroscopy. 120-122.
12. Raymond EM, John FJ Todd. Special Feature: Tutorial an Introduction to Quadrupole Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 1995, 351-369.
13. Joachin E, Martin V. Application of hyphenated LCMS techniques in pharmaceutical analysis. Biomedical Chromatography. 2000, 373.
14. Chang kee L, Gwyn L. Current development in LCMS for Pharmaceutical analysis. Pharmaceutical Science of Japan. 2002, 551
15. Basic of LCMS https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/support/documents/a05296.pdf
16. Shah RP, Sahu A, et al. Identification and characterization of degradation product of irbesartan using LCMS/TOF, MS, on -line H/D exchange and LC-NMR. Pharm Biomed Anal. 2010, 1037-46.
17. Suganthi A, Ravi TK. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of fenoverine in bulk and formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(2):237-41.
18. Gupta A et al. Method Development and hydrolytic degradation study of doxofylline by RP-HPLC and LC-MS/MS. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011;1(1):14-8.
19. Arous B et al. Stability-Indicating Method for the Determination of Rivaroxaban and its Degradation Products using LC-MS and TLC. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Jan 31;11(1):212-20
20. Liquid chromatography- Mass chromatography. Wikipedia
21. Arar S, et al. New forced degradation of vidagliptin: identification and structural elucidation using LCMS with proposed formation mechanism. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies. 2020, 1-12
22. Pallepogu VR, et al. Development and validation of method for simultaneous estimation of sitagliptin and ertugliflozin in rat plasma by LCMS. Current Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021, 2-4
23. Sadok I, et al. Application of the optimizes and validated LCMS method for simultaneous quantification of tryptophan metabolites in culture medium from cancer cells. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2019, 14-17
24. Gemri LI, et al. Application of LC-MS analysis to the characterization of the in vitro and in vivo metabolite profiles of RGH-1756 in the rat. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2019, 879-885
25. Nagarajan J, et al. Simultaneous pharmacokinetic assessment of cefadroxil and clavulanic acid in human plasma by LC–MS and its application to bioequivalence studies. 2012, 286-290
26. Neng Z, et al. Development and Validation of LCMS Method for the Determination of Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride in Human Plasma and Subsequent Application in a Bioequivalence Study. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis. 2007, 481-486
27. Dubala A, et al. Simultaneous quantification of cefpodoxime proxetil and clavulanic acid in human plasma by LC–MS using solid phase extraction with application to pharmacokinetic studies. Journal of Chromatography B. 2013, 49-55
28. Neng Z, et al. Development and Validation of LC–MS Method for the Determination of Lisinopril in Human Plasma and its Application in a Bioequivalence Study. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2008, 849-851
29. Singh S, Sharma K. Validation of LC–MS electrospray ionization method for quantitation of haloperidol in human plasma and its application to bioequivalence study. Analytica Chemical Acta. 2005, 159-167
30. Wang P, et al. Simultaneous determination of Enalapril and Enalaprilat in Human Plasma by LCMS: Application to a bioequivalence Study. Chromatographia. 2007, 209-215
31. Koba M, et al. Application of HPTLC and LC-MS Methods for Determination of Topiramate in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Current Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012, 44-48.
32. Ksycinska H, Rudzki PJ, Sarosick A. Validated LC-MS method for determination of tamsulosin in human plasma and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica. 2006, 417-419
33. Takahashi M, et al. Validated LC-MS method for determination of tamsulosin in human plasma and its application to pharmacokinetic study. The Journal of Medical Investigation. 2010, 245-250
34. Danafae H, Hamidi M. A Rapid LCMS Method for Determination of Ezetimibe Concentration in Human Plasma: Application to a Bioequivalence Study. Chromatographia. 1667-1675
35. Ksycinska H, et al. Determination of clopidogrel metabolite (SR26334) in human plasma by LC–MS. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2005, 533-539
36. Jun lu, et al. Determination of triethylenetetramine (TETA) and its metabolites in human plasma and urine by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC–MS). Journal of Chromatography. 2006, 62-68
37. Steinborner S and Henion J. Liquid- Liquid Extraction in the 96-Well Plate Format with SRM LC/MS Quantitative Determination of Methotrexate and Its Major Metabolite in Human Plasma. Analytical Chemistry. 1999, 2340-2345
38. Murijiowski J, Filist M, Rudzki JP. Sensitive single Quadrupole LC/MS Method for Determination of Lapatinib in Human Plasma. Acta Polonial Pharmaceutica. 2014, 1029-1036
39. Danafar H. Method Validation of Clonidine Hydrochloride in Human Plasma by LCMS technique. Pharm Biomed Research. 2015, 1029-1036
40. Takahashi M, et al. Determination of Plasma Tenofovir Concentrations Using a Conventional LC-MS Method. Pharmaceutical Society of Japan. 2007, 1784-1786
41. Murijowski J, Rudzki PJ. Determination of sunitinib in human plasma using liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry. Liquid Chromatography. 2014, 2652-2658
42. Naik H, et al. Development and validation of a high-performance liquid chromatography–mass spectroscopy assay for determination of artesunate and dihydroartemisinin in human plasma. Journal of Chromatography. 2004, 233-242
43. Danafar H, Hamidi M. Method validation of amlodipine and atorvastatin by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC–MS) method in human plasma. Pharma Biomed Research. 2016, 2-11
44. Zuo XC, et al. LC-ESI-MS Determination of Flupentixol in Human Plasma. Chromatographi., 2009, 301-306
45. Yan M, et al. Determination of metoclopramide in human plasma by LC–ESI-MS and its application to bioequivalence studies. Journal of Chromatography B, 2010, 883-887
46. Brushimina OS, et al. Determination of Candesartan and Hydrochloride in Human Plasma by HPLC Coupled with Mass Spectroscopy. International Journal of Analytical. 2014, 1-7
47. Attimarad MV, et al. Development of Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Miglitol in Human Plasma: Application to Pharmacokinetic studies. Journal of the Iranian Chemical Society. 2015, 11629-1636
48. Pal N, et al. New method development and validation for the determination of febuxostat in human plasma by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016, 61-69
49. Varghere SJ, Thengungal KR. Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Atorvastatin and Telmisartan in Human Plasma. 2019, 552-563
50. Chen B, et al. Development and validation of liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry method for the determination of telmisartan in human plasma. Analytical Chemica Acta. 2005, 367-373
51. Katarzyna B, et al. Environmentally friendly LC/MS determination of eplerenone in human plasma. Acta Polaniae Pharmaceutical Drug Research. 2016, 1487-1493
52. Singh S, et al. Validation of LCMS Electroscopy Ionisation Method for the Estimation of Ursodiol in Human Plasma and Its and Its Application in Bioequivalence Study. 2004, 1-8
53. Cheu BM, et al. Quantitative determination of azithromycin in human plasma by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry and its application in a bioequivalence study. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2006, 480-487
54. Cru Yi, et al. Simultaneous determination of erythromycin ethylsuccinate and its metabolite erythromycin in human plasma using liquid chromatography–electrospray ionization mass spectrometry for clinical study. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2006, 737-743
55. Zou Q, et al. Liquid Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry Method for the Determination of Amlodipine in Human Plasma and Its Application in a Bioequivalence Study.
56. Sreedevi V, et al. LC-MS Method Development and validation for the estimation of Felodipine in human plasma and Stability studies of freeze thaw analyte. International Journal of Pharma Science and Research. 2011, 65-73
57. Ping W, et al. Quantitative determination of amantadine in human plasma by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry and the application in a bioequivalence study. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2007, 1519-1525
58. Yang H, et al. Determination of Simvastatin in human plasma by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography. 2003, 369-375
59. Hanna K, Piotr JR. LCMS Determination of Tamsulosin in Human Plasma. Pharmaceutical Research Institude.
60. Selvadurai M, et al. Determination of Doxycycline in Human Plasma by Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry after Liquid-Liquid Extraction and its Application in Human Pharmacokinetics Studies. Journal of Bioequivalence and Bioavailability. 2010, 93-97
61. Jing J, et al. Determination and pharmacokinetics of manidipine in human plasma by HPLC/ESIMS. Biomedical Chromatography. 2007, 836-840
62. Hui SP, et al. Analyses for phosphatidylcholine hydroperoxides by LC/MS. Journal of Chromatography B. 2010, 1677-1682
63. Souppart C, et al. Development and validation of a high-performance liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry assay for the determination of artemether and its metabolite dihydroartemisinin in human plasma. Journal of Chromatography B. 2002, 195-203
64. Yang L, et al. High-performance liquid chromatography–electrospray ionization mass spectrometry determination of sodium ferulate in human plasma. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2007, 945-950
65. Nair SM, et al. Development and Validation of High-Performance LCMS Methods for Estimation of Silodosin and Silodosin β-D-Glucuronide in Human Plasma. Pharmaceutical Analytical Chemistry. 2016
66. Chen WD, et al. Simple, sensitive and rapid LC–ESI–MS method for the quantitation of lafutidine in human plasma—Application to pharmacokinetic studies. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2006, 256-260
67. Patel A, et al. Rapid, sensitive and simple lc-ms/ms method development and validation for estimation of phenytoin in human plasma by using deuterated internal standard. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2021 14(6), 2937-2944.
68. Naidu, Y. K., et al. Quantification of Levetiracetam in Human Plasma with Precipitation Extraction by Using Fully Validated LC-MS/MS and Its Application to a Bioequivalence Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 3.3 (2010): 847-853.
69. Reddy S et al. Estimation of Gliclazide in Human Plasma by LCMS/MS. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(9):985-9.
70. Mabbu IP et al. New LC-MS Method Development and Validation for Quantitative Estimation of 2-Acetoxy Ethyl Acetoxy Methyl Ether in Acyclovir. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Nov 30;14(11):5881-5.
71. Maruthi R, Chandan RS, Tengli AK. Characterization of impurities in Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate by using LCMS/MS and NMR. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(8):3569-76
72. Srivastava B et al. Method development and validation of simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide in bulk and tablet dosage form using LC-MS/MS. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 May 1;14(5):2493-6.
73. Puram SR, Nithya G. A sensitive, rapid determination of moxonidine in plasma by LC-MS/MS, application to bioequivalence study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020 Dec 1;13(12):5773-6.
74. Supriya H, Ashish M, Meena C Determination of emtricitabine in human plasma by LC-MS/MS. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012 Jan 28;5(1):133-7.
75. Prashant KN, Lakshmi AV. A Validated Reverse Phase LC-MS Method for quantification of drotaverine in Biological matrices. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020 Nov 1;13(11):5333-8.
76. Kolsure A, Daniel K, Bhat M. Analytical methods for estimation of Budesonide in bulk and in Pharmaceutical dosage forms: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 May 1;14(5):2873-7.
77. Abdel-Hamid ME et al. A Rapid liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Method for the Determination of Ciprofloxacin in Rabbits Serum Following Intra-gastric Dosing: Application to Pharmacokinetics Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012 May 28;5(5):624-31.
78. Mike S Lee and Edward H Kerns. LCMS Application in Drug Development. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. 1999, 187-279
79. Mayumi Nishikawa, et al. Forensic Toxicological Determination of Surfactant by Liquid Chromatography/Electrospray Ionisation Mass Spectrometry and Liquid Chromatography/Electrospray Ionisation Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Health Science. 2003, 138 – 148.
80. Put M, et al. LCMS Analysis of Fingerprint, the Amino Acid Profile of 20 donors. Forensic Science. 2014, 364-367
81. Nishikawa M, Truchihashi H. Application of LCMS in Forensic Chemistry. Forensic Science. 1998, 13-26
82. Marquet P, Lachatre G. Liquid Chromatography Mass- Spectrometry: Potential in Forensic and Clinical Toxiocology. Journal of Chromatography B. 1999, 104
83. Hiroshi M, Kunihiro F and Michiko. Direct Determination of NO2-Substituted Pyrenes by Liquid Chromatography-Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization-Mass Spectrometry. Analytical Sciences. 2000,1247 - 1248.
84. Agüera and A.R. Fernández-Alba. GC-MS and LC-MS evaluation of pesticide degradation products generated through advanced oxidation processes: An overview. EDP Sciences. Wiley-VCH. 1998, M123 M130
85. Richardson S, Caughram T et al. Application of DNPH derivatization with LCMS to the Identification of Polar Carbonyl Disinfectant By Product in Drinking Water. Taylor and Francis. 2013, 653-668
86. Zwiener C, Richardron S. Analysis of Disinfection by product in Drinking Water By LCMS and related MS techniques. Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 2005, 613-619
87. Careri M, et al. Overview of the applications of liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry interfacing systems in food analysis: naturally occurring substances in food. Journal of Chromatography A. 1998, 263-297
88. Yun-Ieong H, Diane M, and Alyson E. Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry Investigation of the Impact of Thermal Processing and Storage on Peach Procyanidins. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 2004, 52, 2366-2371
89. Tanaka T, et al. Application of Liquid Chromatography and Mass Spectroscopy for determination of Alfatoxins. 2001, 107-111
90. Sasaki R, et al. Development of an Analytical Method for the Determination of Sterrigmatocystin in Grains using LCMS after Immunoaffinity Column Purification. 123-129
91. Betterigde K, Colegate S. Improved Method for Extraction and LC-MS Analysis of Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids and Their N-Oxides in Honey: Application to Echium vulgare Honeys. Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 2005, 1894-1902
92. Songermsakul P, Razzazi F. A Review of Recent Trends in Applications of Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry for Determination of Mycotoxins. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies. 2014, 1642-1675
93. Thomas O metz et al. The future of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) in metabolic profiling and metabolomic studies for biomarker discovery. Biomark Med. 2007, 159–185
94. Chi Chen, et al. LC-MS-Based Metabolomics in Drug Metabolism. Drug Metabolism Reviews. 2007, 581-597
95. Gunnar B, Michael O. Liquid Chromatography–Tandem Mass Spectrometry or Automated Immunoassays: What Are the Future Trends in Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. Clinical Chemistry. 2012, 821–825
96. Jame J. Principle and Application of Liquid Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry in Clinical Biochemistry. The Clinical Biochemist. 2009, 19-34.
97. Niessen W. Analysis of antibiotics by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A. 1998, 53-75.
98. Vaghela A. Sample preparation in bioanalysis: a review. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 5(05), 6-10.