Santhosh Kumar Ettaboina, Komalatha Nakkala, Nayana Chathalingath
Santhosh Kumar Ettaboina1*, Komalatha Nakkala2, Nayana Chathalingath3
1Quality Control, Aurex Laboratories LLC, East Windsor, New Jersey, 08520, USA.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, 400019.
3PG and Research Department of Biotechnology, Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India, 641029.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic method has been developed for the estimation of Deferasirox in bulk and in tablet dosage form. Further optimized HPLC method was validated as per the current ICH guidelines. The experiment was conducted on a Inertsil ODS-3V C18, 150mm length, 4.6mm ID, and 5µm particle size column using the chromatographic separation was done with 60:40 v/v ratio of Acetonitrile and Buffer (0.05% Orthophosphoric Acid) as the mobile phase at a flow rate of 1.5mL min-1, and detection of component was made at 250nm. The HPLC method was accurate, with linearity ranging from 10.8 to 162µg/mL of Deferasirox, the correlation coeffient >0.999. The method was exposed to a high accuracy of more than 97%. The results disclose the successful applicability of the current process for the estimation of Deferasirox from its drug substance and marketed formulation, which can be consciously inferred to assess the other formulation systems. The developed method was validated in terms of linearity, accuracy, precision, LOD, LOQ, robustness & ruggedness. The proposed method can be helpful in Quality control laboratories for the determination of Deferasirox in the pharmaceutical dosage form.
Cite this article:
Santhosh Kumar Ettaboina, Komalatha Nakkala, Nayana Chathalingath. Development and Validation of Rapid RP-HPLC Method for determination of Deferasirox in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Forms. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(2):73-7. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00013
Santhosh Kumar Ettaboina, Komalatha Nakkala, Nayana Chathalingath. Development and Validation of Rapid RP-HPLC Method for determination of Deferasirox in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Forms. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(2):73-7. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00013 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-1
1. Chauzit. Emmanuelle. Bouchet. Stephane. Micheau. Marguerite. Mahon. Francois Xavier. Moore. Nicholas. Titier. Karine. Molimard and Mathieu. A method to measure deferasirox in plasma using HPLC coupled with ms/ms detection and its potential application. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. 2010; 32: 476 – 481.
2. Dudley J. Pennell. John B. Porter. Maria DC. Amal El-Beshlawy. Lee LC. Yesim A. Mohsen SE. Pranee Sutcharitchan. Chi-Kong Li9. Hishamshah I. Vip Viprakasit. Efficacy of deferasirox in reducing and preventing cardiac iron overload in β-thalassemia. Blood. 2010; 115(12): 2364-2371.
3. Marta S. Yolanda M. Carmen C. Elimination of calcium and argon interferences in iron determination by ICP-MS using Desferrioxamine chelating agent immobilized in sol–gel and cold plasma conditions. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry. 2003; 18: 1103-1108.
4. Manzoori JL. Jouyban A. Amjadi M. Panahi – Azar V. Tamizi E. Vaez – Gharamaleki J. Terbium. sensitized fluorescence method for the determination of deferasirox in biological fluids and tablet formulation. The Journal of Biological and Chemical Luminescence. 2010.
5. Jamshid L. Manzoori1. Abolghasem J. Mohammad A. VahidPanahi- Azar. Elnaz Tamizi. Jalil V. Gharamaleki. Terbium sensitized fluorescence method for the determination of deferasirox in biological fluids and tablet formulation. The journal of biological and chemical luminescence. 2010; 11: 160.
6. Bruin GJM. Faller T. Wiegand H. Schweitzer A. Nick H. Schneider J. Boernsen KO. Waldmeier F. Pharmacokinetics, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of deferasirox and its iron complex in rats. Drug MetabDispos. 2008; 36:2523–2253.
7. Chakravarthy VK. Gowrisankar D. LC determination of Deferasirox in pharmaceutical formulation. Journal of Global Trends in Pharmaceutical sciences. 2010; 1: 37- 45.
8. Ravi K. Surendranath K. Radhakrishnanand P. Satish J. Satyanarayana P. A stability indicating LC method for deferasirox in bulk drugs and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Chromatographia. 2010; 72: 441–446.
9. Desai NC. Senta RD. Simultaneous Rp-HPLC determination of salicylamide, salicylic acid and deferasirox in the bulk API dosages forms. Journal of Taibah University for Science. 2015; 9(2): 245-251. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtusci.2014.11.006.
10. Sampath S. Swetha R. Method development and validation for determination of impurities in deferasirox by RP-HPLC technique. Journal o f Drug Delivery & Therapeutics. 2012; 2(3): 148-152.
11. Singh S. Mohammed N. Ackerman R. Porter JB. Hide RC. Quantification of Desferrioxamine and its iron chelating metabolites by high-performance liquid chromatography and simultaneous ultravioletvisible/radioactive detection. Analytical Biochemistry. 1992; 203(1): 116-120.
12. Carmen camera. A High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Measurement of Deferoxamine in Body Fluids. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. 1989; 11.
13. Choudhry VP. Naithani R. Current status of iron overload and chelation with deferasirox Indian Journal of Pediatrics. 2007; 74 (8): 759–64.
14. Hajjizadeh M. Jabbari A. Heli H. Moosavi Movahedi AA. Shafiee A. Karimiand K. Electrocatalytic oxidation and determination of deferasirox and deferiprone, Analytical Biochemistry. 2019; 373(2):337-348.
15. Ana Valeria. Colnaghi Simionato. Marcelo DC. Emanuel C. Characterization of metal-deferoxamine complexes by continuous variation method: A new approach using capillary zone electrophoresis. Micro chemical Journal. 2006; 82(2): 214-219.
16. ICH Guideline Q2A, Text on validation of analytical procedures, in: International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, 1994, http://www.ich.org (November 2012).
17. Katakam LNR. Dongala T. Ettaboina SK. Novel stability indicating UHPLC method development and validation for simultaneous quantification of hydrocortisone acetate, pramoxine hydrochloride, potassium sorbate and sorbic acid in topical cream formulation, Talanta Open. 2020; 1(), 100004–. doi:10.1016/j.talo.2020.100004
18. Raveendra Babu G. Srinivasa Rao J. Suresh kumar K. Jayachandra Reddy P. Stability Indicating Liquid Chromatographic Method for Aripiprazole, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(1): 03-07.
19. Sharmin Reza Chowdhury. Mahfuza Maleque. Mahbubul Hoque Shihan. Development and Validation of a Simple RP-HPLC Method for Determination of Caffeine in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; (1): 01-04.
20. Dongala T. Katari NK. Ettaboina SK. Krishnan A. Tambuwala MM. Dua K. (2021). In vitro Dissolution Profile at Different Biological pH Conditions of Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate Tablets Is Available for the Treatment of COVID-19, Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences. 2021; 7:613393. doi: 10.3389/fmolb.2020.613393
21. Manoranjan Sabat. Sharada Nalla. Venkateswarlu Goli. Sravan Prasad Macherla. Praveena Kumari Matta. Madhu Chandaka S. A New Analytical Method Development and Validation for Estimation of Ciprofloxacin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(4):116-117.
22. Ettaboina SK. Katakam LNR. Dongala T. Development and Validation of a Stability-Indicating RP-HPLC Method for the Determination of Erythromycin Related Impurities in Topical Dosage Form. Pharmceutical Chemistry Journal (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11094-022-02610-5
23. Thangabalan B. Salomi M. Sunitha N. Manohar Babu S. Development of validated RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Itraconazole in pure and pharmaceutical dosage form, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(4): 119-123.
24. Katakam LNR. Ettaboina SK. Dongala T. A simple and rapid HPLC method for determination of parabens and their degradation products in pharmaceutical dosage forms, Biomedical Chromatography. 2021; 35(10). doi:10.1002/bmc.5152
25. Gandla. Kumara Swamy N. Ravindra S. Sowmya. A New RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine and Valsartan in Tablet Dosage Forms, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2014; 4(3):103-107.
26. Macha B. Nakkala K. Garige AK. Akkinepally RR. Synthesis and Evalution of New Tacrine Derivatives As Anti- Alzheimer’ S Agents, 2018; vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 590–597.
27. Govinda Rao Kamala. Sowjanya Vadrevu. Malipeddi Haripriya. Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Omeprazole and Domperidone by RP-HPLC, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(4): 195-205.
28. Katakam LNR. Dongala T. Ettaboina SK. Quality by design with design of experiments approach for development of a stability‐indicating LC method for enzalutamide and its impurities in soft gel dosage formulation, Biomedical Chromatography. 2021; 35(5). doi:10.1002/bmc.5062
29. Sridevi Ranjitha Karanam V. Reena Jyothi Swarupa. Stability Indicating Analytical Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Tablet Dosage Form, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(1) 7-14.
30. Katakam LNR. Ettaboina SK. Marisetti VM. Development and validation of LC–MS method for the determination of heptaethylene glycol monomethyl ether in benzonatate bulk drugs, Biomedical Chromatography. (2021); 35(7). doi:10.1002/bmc.5096
31. Sushil D. Patil. Sunil V. Amurutkar CD. Upasani. Development and Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Empagliflozin, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(4): 201-206. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2016.00030.2
32. Kirthi A. Shanmugam R. Mohana Lakshmi S. Ashok Kumar CK. Padmini K. Shanti Prathyusha M. Shilpa V. Analytical Method Development and Validation of a Stability-indicating RP-HPLC Method for the Analysis of Danazol in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(4): 227-234.
33. Yenda P. Katari NK. Dongala T. Vyas G. Katakam LNR. Ettaboina SK. A simple isocratic LC method for quantification of trace-level inorganic degradation impurities (ferricyanide, ferrocyanide, nitrite, and nitrate) in sodium nitroprusside injection and robustness by quality using design approach, Biomedical Chromatography, 2021; e5269. https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.5269
34. Yesha K. Patel MN. Noolvi. Hasumati Raj. Meghna P. Patel. Development and validation of stability indicating reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic method for estimation of Donepezil HCl from bulk drug, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 5(2): 96-101.
35. Ettaboina SK. Nakkala K. Development and Validation of New Analytical Methods for the Simultaneous Estimation of Levamisole and Albendazole in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC, Journal of Pharmaceutical Analytics and Insights. 2021; 3(1), dx.doi.org/10.16966/2471-8122.117
36. Muchakayala SK. Katari NK. Dongala T. Marisetti VM. Vyas G. Vegesna RVK. Eco-friendly and green chromatographic method for the simultaneous determination of chlorocresol and betamethasone dipropionate in topical formulations using Box–Behnken design, Journal of the Iranian Chemical Society. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13738-021-02388-5
37. Muchakayala SK. Pavithra K. Katari NK. Marisetti VM. Dongala T. Vegesna RVK. Development and validation of a RP-UPLC method for the determination of betamethasone dipropionate impurities in topical formulations using a multivariate central composite design. Analytical Methods. 2021; 13(33): 3705-3723. doi: 10.1039/d1ay01096d.
38. Ettaboina SK. Nakkala K. Laddha KS. A mini review on SARS-Covid-19-2 Omicron Variant (B.1.1.529). Scimedical journal. 2021; 3(4):399-406. DOI: 10.28991/SciMedJ-2021-0304-10
39. Leela Prasad K. Naresh Kumar K. Surekha Ch.Christian A. Sandoval, Siva Krishna M, Naresh Konduru. A Quality by Design and green LC technique for the determination of mast cell stabilizer and histamine receptor antagonist (Olopatadine HCl) in multiple formulations. Biomedical chromatography. 2022; e5359. doi: 10.1002/bmc.5359
40. Leela Prasad K. Naresh Kumar K. Christian A. Sandoval. Siva Krishna M.Vijay Kumar R. Unique green chromatography method for the determination of serotonin receptor antagonist (Ondansetron hydrochloride) related substances in a liquid formulation, robustness by quality by design-based design of experiments approach. Journal of Separation Science. 2022 Mar 13. doi: 10.1002/jssc.202100979.