Vinod Ahirrao, Rajiv Jadhav, Kiran More, Rahul Kale, Vipul Rane, Jaydeo Kilbile, Mohammad Rafeeq, Ravindra Yeole
Vinod Ahirrao*, Rajiv Jadhav, Kiran More, Rahul Kale, Vipul Rane, Jaydeo Kilbile, Mohammad Rafeeq, Ravindra Yeole
Wockhardt Research Centre, D-4, MIDC, Chikalthana, Aurangabad, 431006, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Triethylamine sulfur trioxide complex (TEA-SO3) is an important sulfating agent used in the synthesis of various drug substances, dyes and other chemicals. Quality of TEA-SO3 is very crucial because it provides the active sulfur trioxide (SO3) in the sulfation reaction. We developed an accurate, precise and robust analytical method for determination of quality of TEA-SO3. The potentiometric titrimetry methods are capable to estimate SO3 as well as degradation product sulfuric acid (H2SO4) present in the TEA-SO3. Estimation of SO3 involves hydrolysis of the complex using H2SO4 under reflux condition and titrating excess H2SO4 against alkali solution. H2SO4 is quantified by direct titration against alkali solution. Both assay and impurity quantification methods were validated as per the ICH guideline. Accuracy of H2SO4 determination was 102.80% with precision of 0.75% and could be detected as low as 0.01%. Method to estimate SO3 was accurate with recovery of 99.92% and precision of 0.25%. The developed methods were employed for quality check of the reagent.
Cite this article:
Vinod Ahirrao, Rajiv Jadhav, Kiran More, Rahul Kale, Vipul Rane, Jaydeo Kilbile, Mohammad Rafeeq, Ravindra Yeole. An Accurate and Precise Analytical Method for Estimation of Active Sulfur Trioxide and Sulfuric acid in Triethylamine Sulfur Trioxide Complex. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2022; 12(1):17-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00004
Vinod Ahirrao, Rajiv Jadhav, Kiran More, Rahul Kale, Vipul Rane, Jaydeo Kilbile, Mohammad Rafeeq, Ravindra Yeole. An Accurate and Precise Analytical Method for Estimation of Active Sulfur Trioxide and Sulfuric acid in Triethylamine Sulfur Trioxide Complex. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2022; 12(1):17-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00004 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-4
1. Gilbert EE. The reactions of sulfur trioxide, and its adducts, with organic compounds. Chemical Reviews. 1962; 62(6): 549–589.
2. Barron D, Ibrahim RK. Synthesis of flavonoid sulfates. III. synthesis of 3',4'-ortho disulfates using sulfur trioxide-trimethylamine complex, and of 3'-suIfates using aryl sulfatase. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung A. 1988; 43(9): 631–635.
3. Dusza JP, Joseph JP, Bernstein S. The preparation of estradiol-17β sulfates with triethylamine-sulfur trioxide. Steroids. 1985; 45(3–4): 303–315.
4. Kelly D. Sulfur trioxide-amine adducts, Spotlight 76, SYNLETT. 2003; 14: 2263–2264.
5. Kanetani F, Yamaguchi H. Studies of the reaction of amine with sulfur trioxide IV. One step synthesis of N-substituted Imidobissulfates from amines. Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan. 1974; 47(11): 2713–2716.
6. Tidwell TT. Sulfur trioxide pyridine. Encyclopedia of reagents for organic synthesis, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 2017.
7. Joshi SN, Wankhede KS, Jadhav SB, Pawar SS, Ahirrao VK, Bhawsar SB, Deshpande PK, Yeole RD, Patel MV. A process for preparation of (2S,5R)-7-Oxo-6-sulphooxy-2-[N'-((3R)-piperidin-3-carbonyl)-hydrazinocarbonyl]-1,6-diaza-bicyclo[3.2.1]octane. US Patent US9657021B2.
8. Aszodi J, Lampilas M, Musicki B, Rowlands A, Colette P. New heterocyclic compounds and their preparations and their use as medicaments, in particular as anti-bacterial agents. 2013, US Patent US2007/0299108 A1.
9. Mangion IK, Ruck RT, Rivera N, Huffman MA, Shevlin M. A concise synthesis of a β-lactamase inhibitor. Organic Letters. 2011; 13(20): 5480–5483.
10. Sieh DH, Dunham JM. Determination of active sulfur trioxide in sulfur trioxide pyridine and sulfur trioxide-trimethylamine complexes. Analytical Chemistry. 1982; 54: 1216–1217.
11. Specification sheet of triethylamine sulfur trioxide. https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/substance/ sulfurtrioxidetriethylaminecomplex 1812576101311? lang=en®ion=I.
12. Specification sheet of triethylamine sulfur trioxide. https://www.tcichemicals.com/JP/en/p/T2136.
13. Rele RV, Gurav PJ, Sawant SA. A validated non-aqueous potentiometric titration method for the quantitative determination of lafutadine from pharmaceutical preparation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(6): 722-724.
14. Thakur SV, Ware RL, Farooqui M, Naikwade SD. Equilibrium studies on Imipramine Hydrochloride-metal ion in 20%ethanol-water mixture. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(12):1464-1465.
15. Rele RV, Tiwatane PP. A validated non-aqueous potentiometric titration method for quantitative determination of alprazolam from pharmaceutical preparation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2016; 9(11): 597-600.
16. Rele RV, Rane DG. Validated non-aqueous potentiometric titration method for quantitative determination of clopidogrel bisulphate from pharmaceutical preparation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2017; 10(1): 26-28.
17. Nair V, Bernstein S. A convenient procedure for the preparation of triethylamine-sulfur trioxide. Organic Preparations Procedure. International. 1987; 19(6): 466–467.
18. Landge KR, Siddheshwar S, Ghogare R. Analytical method development and validation of ramipril and hydrochlorothiazide- A review. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2020; 12(3):211-221.
19. Deokar AU, Siddheshwar S, Kakad SB. Analytical method development and validation of rivaroxaban- A review. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2020; 12(1): 36-46.
20. Nageswara Rao T, Patrudu TB, Sunil kumar A, Rao KN, Karri A. A new analytical method validation and quantification of residual solvents in telmisartan bulk drug product by headspace chromatographic method. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2018; 10(2).
21. Nagamallika J, Aruna M. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for the estimation of aripiprazole in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(3): 46-49.
22. Dahiya J, Singh A, Gupta SK, Kumar B. Spectrophotometric estimation of dextromethorphan in bulk drug using hydrotropic solubilization technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(3): 90-93.
23. Ganji S, Satyavati D. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the analysis of Cobicistat and related impurities in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(1): 1-8.
24. International conference on harmonization (ICH Q2). (2005). Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology. https://www.ich.org/page/quality-guidelines.