Simple, accurate, precise, economical procedure entailing neither irksome sample treatment nor tedious extraction process have been developed for the simultaneous estimation of piperine and nateglinide in a combined tablet dosage form of nateglinide and piperine using UV-Spectrophotometry method. Piperine is an alkaloid obtained from Piper nigrum Linn., is known to modify the biotransformation of the drugs by inhibiting Cytochrome P450 forms. Piperine inhibits the bio-transformation and metabolism of nateglinide leading to higher levels of drug in systemic circulation, thus increases the bioavailabilty when co-administered with nateglinde. Nateglinide and piperine have shown absorbance maxima at 258nm and 244nm respectively, in methanol and the linearity was obeyed over the concentration range of 50-250µg/ml and 5-25µg/ml respectively for nateglinide and piperine. The validation parameters like precision, accuracy, limit of quantitation (LOQ), limit of detection (LOD), were determined according to ICH guidelines. All the results were found to be within the limits.
Cite this article:
Sama Venkatesh, Sirimalla Jyothi, Rajeswari Chiluka, Yenumula Padmavathi. Development of UV- Spectrophotometric Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Nateglinide and Piperine in Combined Tablet dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(3):134-140. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2020.00024.1
1. Tripathi KD. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. 6th edition, New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher. 2013.
2. United States Pharmacopeial Convention Revision bulletin official 2010, Issue October; 1-3.
3. Halas CJ, Nateglinide, American Journal of Health System Pharmacy, 58(13), 2001, 1200-1205.
4. Lee EB, Shin KH and Woo WS. Pharmacological study on piperine, Arch Pharm Res 7, 1984;127-132.
5. Atal CK, Singh J Raghavendra K, Dubey and Singh J. Biochemical basis of enhanced drug bioavailability by piperine, evidence that piperine is a potent inhibitor of drug metabolism. American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 1985; 232(1): 258-262.
6. Imran A Sheikh, Manoj Charde, Avinash V Kasture. Development of Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Flupenthixol HCl and Melitracen HCl in Their Combined Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(4): Oct.-Dec. 2009 page 488-493.
7. M. Jagadeeswaran, N. Gopal, T. Sivakumar. Simultaneous Estimation and Validation of Amlodipine Besylate and Nebivolol Hydrochloride in Tablet Formulation by RP-HPLC Method. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(3): July- Sept. 2010; Page 640-642.
8. Rubesh Kumar S., Ram Kishan J., Venkateshwar Roa K.N., Duganath N., Kumanan R. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Curcuminoids and Ascorbic Acid in Bulk Drug and Ayurvedic Polyherbal Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(3): July- Sept. 2010; Page 678-681.
9. Sohan S. Chitlange, Imran, Sagar B. Wankhede, Dinesh M. Sakarkar. Simultaneous Estimation of Metoprolol and Amlodipine from Tablet Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 1(2): April-June. 2008Page 80-82.
10. Krishna Veni Nagappan, Meyyanathan S N, Rajinikanth B Raja, Elango Kannan. A Liquid Chromatography Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Curcumin and Piperine in Food Products Using Diode Array Detection. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(2): April-June, 2009 page 115-118.
11. Tripti Jain, Kamlesh Dashora. Spectrophotometric fingerprinting method for Unani formulation Hab-e- Azarakhi. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2(1): Jan.-Mar. 2012; Page 01-03.
12. Beckett AH, Stenlake JB. Practical Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Ultraviolet-visible absorption spectrophotometric; 2002.
13. International Conference on Harmonization, Q2 (R1): Validation of Analytical Procedures; Text and methodology. 1997; 62 (96): 27463-67.
14. Hiral J. Varachhiya, Rohan K. Barse, Suresh Jain. Development and Validation of Spectroscopic Simultaneous Equation Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Itopride Hydrochloride and Omeprazole in Synthetic Mixture. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(4):238-242.
15. Audumbar Mali, Ankush Hake, Manoj Patil, Ritesh Bathe, Ashpak Tamboli. Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric Methods for Estimation of Paracetamol and Domperidone in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 6(1): Jan.-Mar., 2016; Page 21-26.
16. Kalpana Vasanthan, R Vijayageetha, A Shantha Arcot. Method Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Nateglinide in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Formulation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.3 (3): July-Sept. 2010; Page 804-806.
17. B. Siddartha, I. Sudheer Babu, C. Parthiban, C. Madhavi. Development and Validation of UV–Spectrophotometric Method of Pantoprazole in bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage form. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2013; 5(6): 341-344.