Simple, accurate, and precise UV-Spectrophotometric methods were developed for the estimation of Calcium levofolinate (CLF) in bulk and parenteral dosage form by Zero Order (Method A), Area Under Curve (AUC) (Method B). The solution of standard and sample was prepared in 0.1N sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and further dilution was carried out using Double Distilled Water (DDW). The quantitative determination of the drug was carried out by using the zero-order derivative values measured at 282±2nm (method A) and the AUC method values measured at 270.00nm - 297.80nm (method B). Calibration graphs constructed at their respective wavelength of determination were linear in the concentration range of CLF using 3-18µg/mL (r2=0.999) for zero-order and AUC spectrophotometric methods. Moreover, all these methods proposed were thoroughly validated with ICH guidelines. To summarize, developed spectrophotometric methods in this research are simple, precise, accurate, and sensitive to the assay of CLF in injections.
Cite this article:
Rahul D. Rathod, Sopan N. Nangare, Vikas R. Patil, Harshada S. Rathod, Mayuri M. Shitole, Rahul S. Tade. Zero-Order Derivative and Area Under Curve UV-Spectrophotometric Methods for Determination of Calcium Levofolinate in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(3):129-133. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2020.00023.X
1. Bhangale SM, Hiwale VS, Rane SS, Chaudhari RY, Patil VR. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of atenolol and losartan in tablet dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9: 501-505.
2. National Library of Medicine. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Calcium levofolinate. Available from URL: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Calcium-levofolinate.
3. Patel NC, Sakhreliya B, Patel MB. Development and validation of analytical method for estimation of leucovorin calcium in it’s marketed dosage form. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Bioscientific Research. 2016; 6: 207-210.
4. Suss F, Harang V, Sänger‐van de Griend CE, Scriba GK. Development and validation of a robust capillary electrophoresis method for impurity profiling of calcium levofolinate including the (6r,2's)‐diastereomer using statistical experimental design. Electrophoresis. 2004; 25: 766-777.
5. Mali AD, Bathe R, Tamboli A. Zero Order and Area under Curve spectrophotometric methods for determination of domperidone in pharmaceutical formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 5: 182-187.
6. International Conference of Harmonization (ICH) 1997 Q2R1: Validation of Analytical Procedure Methodology. USFDA Federal Register.1997; 62: 27463.
7. Jumle R, Mundhey A, Wate S, Dangare S, Ramteke U. UV-Spectrophotometric method development and validation for estimation of tizanidine and aceclofenac in tablet formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.2012; 2: 101-103.
8. Mali A, Mali S, Bathe R, Patil M, Tamboli A. Zero-order and Area under Curve spectrophotometric methods for determination of riboflavin in pharmaceutical formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6: 35-40.
9. Mali A, Kekan V, Dongare R, Gholve S, Bathe R. Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric methods for estimation of carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research.2016; 6: 15-20.
10. Mali A, Gorad R, Quazi A, Bathe R, Tamboli A. Development and estimation of pyridoxine hcl in bulk and formulation by Second Order Derivative Area under Curve UV-Spectrophotometric methods. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 6: 106-112.
11. Shelke A, Shinde M. Mogal R. Sable R, Jadhav A. Application of UV spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide fumarate in bulk. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 8: 103-107.
12. Nagamallika J, Mahesh A. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for the estimation of aripiprazole in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011;1: 46-49.
13. Kumar PR, Spandana P, Shareef A, Sahithi K, Babu NR. Development and validation of difference spectrophotometric method for quantitative estimation of gemcitabine hydrochloride injection. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2019; 9: 219-223.
14. Mali AD, Bathe R, Patil M, Tamboli A. Zero Order and Area Under Curve spectrophotometric methods for determination of levocetirizine in pharmaceutical formulation. International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research. 2015;1, 270-275.
15. Gupta SK, Kumar B, Sharma PK. Development and validation of a spectrophotometric method for estimation of triamcinolone in solid dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3: 42-43.
16. Annareddy GR, Singh A, Akkenapally S, Akiful HM, Bakshi V, Boggula N. Comparative studies of apixaban in bulk and its formulations by Uv-Spectroscopy (Zero Derivatives and Area Under Curve). International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 2018;8(4): 1002-1008.
17. Pramod K, Ansari SH, Ali J. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for the quantitative estimation of eugenol. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.2013; 3: 58-61.
18. Daharwal S. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of diazepam and propranolol in bulk drug and its formulations. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3: 20-23.
19. Patil SD, Chaure SK, Kshirsagar S. Development and validation of uv spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and metformin hydrochloride in bulk drugs. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2017; 7: 117-123