Sahil Kamble, Sahil Agrawal, Sagar Pagade, Rahul Patil, Nilesh Chaugule, Anuja Patil
Sahil Kamble1, Sahil Agrawal2, Sagar Pagade3, Rahul Patil4, Nilesh Chaugule5, Anuja Patil6
1,2,3,4Student, Ashokrao Mane Institute of Pharmacy, Ambap.
5,6Assistant Professor, Ashokrao Mane Institute of Pharmacy, Ambap.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The estimate of pharmaceutical and biological materials typically uses the key qualitative and quantitative technique known as high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). It is the most adaptable, secure, dependable, and quick chromatographic method for determining the quality of medicinal ingredients. This article was written with the intention of reviewing several facets of HPLC, including its mechanism, apparatus, types, and applications.
Cite this article:
Sahil Kamble, Sahil Agrawal, Sagar Pagade, Rahul Patil, Nilesh Chaugule, Anuja Patil. A Review on High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(1):61-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00011
Sahil Kamble, Sahil Agrawal, Sagar Pagade, Rahul Patil, Nilesh Chaugule, Anuja Patil. A Review on High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(1):61-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00011 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-11
1. Rogatsky E. Modern high performance liquid chromatography and HPLC 2016 International Symposium. J Chromatogr Sep Tech. 2016; 7:135.
2. Mulubwa M, et al. Development and validation of high-performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS/MS) method for determination of tenofovir in small volumes of human plasma. J Chromatogr Sep Tech. 2015; 6:300.
3. Santini DA, et al. Development of a high performance liquid chromatography method for the determination of tedizolid in human plasma, human serum, saline and mouse plasma. J Chromatogr Sep Tech. 2015; 6:270.
4. Lin G, et al. Determination of sodium tanshinone iia sulfonate in rat plasma by high performance liquid chromatography and its application to pharmacokinetics studies. Pharm Anal Acta. 2015; 6:383.
5. AL-Jammal MKH, et al. Development and validation of micro emulsion high performance liquid chromatography (MELC) method for the determination of nifedipine in pharmaceutical preparation. Pharm Anal Acta. 2015; 6:347.
6. Myron P, et al. Tributylamine facilitated separations of fucosylated chondroitin sulfate (fucs) by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) into its component using 1-phenyl- 3-methyl-5-pyrazolone
(pmp) derivatization. J Chromatogr Sep Tech. 2015; 6:256.
7. Tang M, et al. HPLC analysis of monomer release from conventionally and high temperature high-pressure polymerised urethane dimethacrylate intended for biomedical applications. J Chromatograph Separat Techniq. 2014; 5:227.
8. Rao, B.V.; Sowjanya, G.N.; Ajitha, A.; Rao, V.U. A review on stability indicating HPLC method development. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 4(8):405-23.
9. Ahuja, S.; W dong, M. Handbook of Pharmaceutical analysis by HLPC, Elsevier: New York, 2005; 6
10. Akan JC, et al. Determination of organochlorine, organophosphorus and pyrethroid pesticide residues in water and sediment samples by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with UV/visible
detector. J Anal Bioanal Tech. 2014; 5:226
11. Parbhunath OL, et al. Optimization and validation of a reverse-phase high performance liquid chromatography assay with ultra-violet detection for measuring total l-ascorbic acid in food and beverage
products. J Anal Bioanal Tech. 2014; 5:201
12. Szterk A, et al. Comparison of various detection systems coupled to high performance liquid chromatography for determination of tocopherols in meat. The influence and comparison of the most popular sample preparation method. J Anal Bioanal Tech. 2013; S2:005.
13. Lories IB, et al. High performance liquid chromatography, TLC densitometry, first-derivative and first-derivative ratio spectrophotometry for de-termination of rivaroxaban and its alkaline degradates in bulk powder and its tablets. J Chromatograph Separat Techniq. 2013; 4:202.
14. Chierentin L and Nunes Salgado HR. Development and validation of a simple, rapid and stability-indicating high performance liquid chromatography method for quantification of norfloxacin in a pharmaceutical product. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4:171.
15. Srinivasarao K, et al. Validated method development for estimation of formoterol fumarate and mometasone furoate in metered dose inhalation form by high performance liquid chromatography. J Anal Bioanal Tech. 2012; 3:153. 16. Sun H, et al. A Rapid and effective method for simultaneous determination of residual sulfonamides and sarafloxacin in pork and chicken muscle by high performance liquid chromatography with accelerated solvent extraction–solid phase extraction cleanup. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2012; 3:154.
17. Virkar PS, et al. Development and validation of a high performance liquid chromatography method for determination of telmisartan in rabbit plasma and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Anal
Bioanal Tech. 2012; 3:133.
18. Gugulothu DB, et al. A versatile high performance liquid chromatography method for simultaneous determination of three curcuminoids in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Pharmaceut Anal Acta.2012; 3:156.Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 13(1): January - March, 2023 65
19. Devika GS, et al. Simultaneous determination of eprosartan mesylate and hydrochlorthiazide in pharmaceutical dosage form by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. Pharm Anal Acta.
20. Qiao G, et al. Modified a colony forming unit microbial adherence to hydrocarbons assay and evaluated cell surface hydrophobicity and biofilm production of vibrio scophthalmi. J Bacteriol Parasitol. 2012; 3:130
21. Types of HPLC. http://hplc.chem.shu.edu/NEW/HPLC_Book/Introduction/int_typs.html. (Accessed Feb 12, 2017)
22. Jeffery, G.H.; Bassett, J.; Mendham, J.; Denney, R.C. Titrimetric analysis. Vogel’s textbook of quantitative chemical analysis, 5th edition; Longman Scientific and Technical, Essex: UK, 1989; 372-3.
23. Connors, A.K. A Text Book of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 3rd ed.; A Wiley Interscience publication: New York, 2005; 373- 400.
24. Harmita, et al. Optimation and validation of analytical method of cotrimoxazole in tablet and plasma in vitro by high performance liquid chromatography. J Bioanal Biomed. 2012; 4:26-29.
25. Nardulli P, et al. A combined HPLC and LC-MS approach for evaluating drug stability in elastomeric devices: a challenge for the sustainability in pharmacoeconomics. J Pharmacovigilance. 2014; 2:157.
26. Hafez HM, et al. Development of a stability-indicating HPLC method for simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate and atorvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharm Anal Acta.
27. Shintani H. Immobilized enzyme column combined with HPLC and column switching method for the analysis of complicated matrix such as body fluids. PharmaceutReg Affairs. 2014; 3:e142.
28. Murthy TGK and Geethanjali J. Development of a validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of metformin hydrochloride and rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and in-house formulation. J Chromatogr Sep Tech. 2014; 5:252.
29. Suresh Babu VV, et al. Validated HPLC method for determining related substances in compatibility studies and novel extended-release formulation for ranolazine. J Chromatograph SeparatTechniq. 2014; 5:209.
30. Arayne MS, et al. Monitoring of pregabalin in pharmaceutical formulations and human serum using UV and RPHPLC techniques: application to dissolution test method. Pharm Anal Acta. 2014; 5:287.
31. Praveen C, et al. Method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone and forced degradation behavior by HPLC in combined dosage form. Pharmaceut Anal Acta.
32. Abdulla SA, et al. Validated HPLC method for the determination of nisoldipine. Pharm Anal Acta. 2013; S1:004.33. Sawsan Mohammed AH, et al. Effects of blood collection tubes on determination vitamin-A by HPLC. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4:184.
34. Subbaiah PR, et al. Method development and validation for estimation of moxifloxacin HCl in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC method. Pharm Anal Acta. 2010; 1:109.
35. https://images.app.goo.gl/FQ4D1ngdU2VJyWha36. Ahir KB, et al. Simultaneous estimation of metformin hydrochloride and repaglinide in pharmaceutical formulation by HPTLCDensitometry method. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4:166.
37. Khodadoust S, et al. A QSRR study of liquid chromatography retention time of pesticides using linear and nonlinear chemometric models. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2012; 3:149.
38. Vali SJ, et al. Separation and quantification of octahydro-1h-indole-2-carboxilic acid and its three isomers by HPLC using refractive index detector. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2012; 3:136.
39. Ndorbor T, et al. Chromatographic and molecular simulation study on the chiral recognition of atracuriumbesylate positional isomers on cellulose tri- 3, 5-dimethylphenycarbamate (CDMPC) column and its
recognition mechanism. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4:176.
40. Hua Z, et al. Extraction and purification of anthocyanins from the fruit residues of Vacciniumuliginosum Linn. J Chromat Separation Technique. 2013; 4:167.
41. Rogatsky E. 2D or Not 2D. Column-switching techniques, multidimensional separations and chromatography: approaches and definitions. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2012; 3:159.
42. Al-Sagar KA and Smyth MR. Multi-Dimensional column chromatographic method with uv detection, for the determination of propranolol at therapeutic levels in human plasma. Pharmaceut Anal Acta. 2012; 3:197
43. Flores HE and Galston AW. Analysis of polyamines in higher plants by high performance liquid chromatography. Plant Physiol. 1982; 69:701-706
44. Euerby MR, Petersson P. Chromatographic classification and comparison of commercially available reversed-phase liquid chromatographic columns using principal component analysis. J Chromatogr. 2003; 994(1-2):13-36.
45. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2F3.imimg.c om%2Fdata3%2FKO%2FUA%2FMY-2624684%2Fhplc-pump500x500.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indiamart.com%2F msp-lab-instruments%2Fsp930d-hplc-column-solvent-deliverypump.html&tbnid=HN0bANBp_nEoxM&vet=1&docid=aV0zIrAjS2a gOM&w=500&h=333&source=sh%2Fx%2Film
47. Tyagi A, Nitin Sharma, Mittal K, Mashru R, Bhardwaj T, Malik J. HPTLC-densitometric and RP-HPLC method development and validation for determination of salbutamol sulphate, bromhexine hydrochloride and etofylline in tablet dosage forms. Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta. 2015; 6(3):350.
49. Dare M, Jain R, Pandey A. Method validation for stability indicating method of related substance in active pharmaceutical ingredients dabigatran etexilate mesylate by reverse phase chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2015:6(2); 263
50. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2F4.imimg.c om%2Fdata4%2FOD%2FTA%2FMY-2481501%2Fhplc-uv-detector500x500.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indiamart.com%2Fp roddetail%2Fhplc-uv-detector-1947969088.html&tbnid=vJl1qazmGYmnM&vet=1&docid=qjygK0sdCMJIyM&w=500&h=500& source=sh%2Fx%2Fim
51. Erk N. Rapid and sensitive HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of dorzolamide hydrochloride and timolol maleate in eye drops with diode-array and UV detection. Pharmazie. 2003 Jul; 58(7):491-493.
52. Donald DH, Shah M. Development and validation of HPLC stability indicating assays, in: sens t. carstensen, c.t.rhodes, editors drug stability-principle & practice. 3rd Edition. New York. Marcel Dekker Inc.332; 2008.
53. Lindholm J. Development and Validation of HPLC Method for Analytical and Preparati ve Purpose, Acta Universities Upsaliensis Uppsala 2004; 13-14.
55. Korodi T, Bukowski K and Lachmann B. Evaluation of a short stability indicating HPLC method for diclofenac sodium gels. Pharmazie.2012:67(12); 980-983
56. Mulgund S, Phoujdar M, Londhe S, Mallade P, Kulkarni T, Deshpande A, et al. Stability indicating HPLC method for simultaneous determination of mephenesin and diclofenac diethylamine. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009:71(1); 35-45.
57. Vincent JB. Is chromium pharmacologically relevant, J Trace Elem. Med Biol. 2014:28(4); 397-405.
58. Heewon Lee, Pharmaceutical applications of liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry (LC/MS), Journal of liquid chromatography & related technologies, 28, 2005, 7-8.
59. Salgado P, Visnevschi-Necrasov T, Kiene R.P, Azevedo I, Rocha A.C.S, Almeida C.M.R, Magalhaes C, Determination of 3-mercaptopropionic acid by HPLC: A sensitive method for environmental applications, Journal of Chromatography B, 992, 2015, 103-108.
60. Bailey F, Applications of high-performance liquid chromatography in the pharmaceutical industry, Journal of Chromatography A, 122, 1976, 73-84.
61. Ian M Bird, High-performance liquid chromatography: principles and clinical applications, BrMedJ, 299, 1989, 783- 7.
62. Ante M. Krstulovic, Investigation of catecholamine metabolism using high-performance liquid chromatography: Analytical methodology and clinical applications, Journal of chromatography B: Biomedical
Sciences and Applications, 229, 1982, 1-34.
63. Ma Bokai, Gou XinLei, Zhao XinYing, Application of highperformance liquid chromatography in food and drug safety analysis, Journal of Food Safety and Quality, 7, 2016, 4295- 4298.
64. Shine sudev, Dr. Sree Janardhanan.V Review on HPLC Development Validation and Optimization: Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res, 56(2), 2019; Article No. 05, Pages:28-43.