N. Lavanya, Varshith Kumar G, Thesis. S, B. Somshekar
N. Lavanya, Varshith Kumar G, Thesis. S, B. Somshekar*
H.no LIG 93, KHB colony, Netaji Nagar, Near Water Tank, Bellary 583104.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The aim of this research was to determine and compare SPF of various merchandised sunscreen formulations by using UV spectrophotometer. The UV absorption of each sample was measured by using UV-Vis spectrophotometry and the final SPF was calculated by using Mansur equation. The obtained values of sunscreens with same SPF were compared. The obtained SPF values were lesser than the labelled SPF values. This study allowed us to conclude that all of the tested samples had a lower real SPF when compared with labelled SPF values, it is important that the chosen SPF be correct for each individual’s Phototype. The application of sunscreens should be done correctly and in the correct amount, around 2 g/cm2.
Cite this article:
N. Lavanya, Varshith Kumar G, Thesis. S, B. Somshekar. Simultaneous Determination and comparison of Sun Protection Factor [SPF] of various merchandised sunscreen formulations by using UV spectrophotometer. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(2):111-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00020
N. Lavanya, Varshith Kumar G, Thesis. S, B. Somshekar. Simultaneous Determination and comparison of Sun Protection Factor [SPF] of various merchandised sunscreen formulations by using UV spectrophotometer. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(2):111-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00020 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-8
1. Kiriiri Geoffrey, A.N. Mwangi, S.M. Maru, et al. Sunscreen products: Rationale for use, formulation development and regulatory considerations, Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal .1012- 1013.
2. Elizangela Abreu Dutra, et al. Determination of sun protection factor (SPF) of sunscreens by ultraviolet spectrophotometry, Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Vol. 40, N. 3, Jul./Sept., 2004, 381-382.
3. Fonseca AP and Rafaela N, Determination of Sun Protection Factor by UV-Vis Spectrophotometry, Instituto Politecnico de Coimbra, ESTESC, D Farm, GIAF, Rua 5 de Outubro S. Martinho do Bispo Apartado 7006, 3040-854.
4. Vijayaraghavan Sudhahar and Vadivelu Balasubramanian, Sun production factor (SPF) determination of marketed sunscreen formulation by In-Vitro method using UV-VIS spectrophotometer, Scholars Research Library,119-122.
5. Mbanga L, Mpiana PT, Mumbwa AM, Bokolo K, Mvingu K, et al. (2014) Determination of Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of Some Body Creams and Lotions Marketed in Kinshasa by Ultraviolet Spectrophotometry. J Phys Chem Sci 2: 1.
6. P Balasaraswathy, Udaya Kumar, CR Srinivas, Shashidharan Nair (2002) UVA and UVB in sunlight, Optimal Utilization of UV rays in Sunlight for phototherapy Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology Department of Dermatology, PSG Institute of Medical Science and Research, Peelamede, Coimbatore, India2 Department of Physics, PSG Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, India.
7. David Welch, Manuela Buonanno, Veljko Grilj, Igor Shuryak, Connor Crickmore, Alan W. Bigelow, et al., (2018) Far-UVC light: A new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial diseases.
8. Zoe Apalla, Dorothée Nashan, Richard B. Weller and Xavier Castellsagué, (2017), Skin Cancer: Epidemiology, Disease Burden, Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Therapeutic Approaches.
9. Sharad P. Paul, (2019), Ensuring the Safety of Sunscreens, and Their Efficacy in Preventing Skin Cancers: Challenges and Controversies for Clinicians, Formulators, and Regulators.
10. Syring F, Weigmann H.-J, Schanzer S, Meinke M.C, Knorr F et al., (2006) Investigation of Model Sunscreen Formulations Comparing the Sun Protection Factor, the Universal Sun Protection Factor and the Radical Formation Ratio, Skin Pharmacology and Physiology.