Amar V. Desai, Aishwarya P. Bhosale, Rajanikant Ghotane
Amar V. Desai*, Aishwarya P. Bhosale, Rajanikant Ghotane
Ashokrao Mane College of Pharmacy, Pethvadgaon, Dist – Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India – 416112.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Acid– base indicators shows change in color after change in pH of medium, and the flower extract of various plants shows sharp color change with change in pH of reacting medium. The study has been carry out to replace the synthetic indicator with Flamingo flower extract, because synthetic acid base indicators have some disadvantages like complicated method of preparation, high cost and they may causes the environmental pollution or may cause harm to user. The ethanolic extract of Flamingo flower is done to determine the indicator activity of Flamingo flower and compared with phenolphthalein indicator. Four deferent types of neutralization titrations like HCl Vs NaOH, HCl Vs NH3, CH3COOH Vs NaOH, and CH3COOH Vs NH3 are done to get precise and accurate results. This research work proves that we can use Flamingo flower extract as a substitute for synthetic acid base indicator in various acid-base titrations.
Cite this article:
Amar V. Desai, Aishwarya P. Bhosale, Rajanikant Ghotane. Flamingo Flower as Natural pH Indicator. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2021; 11(1):38-40. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2021.00007.7
Amar V. Desai, Aishwarya P. Bhosale, Rajanikant Ghotane. Flamingo Flower as Natural pH Indicator. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2021; 11(1):38-40. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2021.00007.7 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-1-7
1. Edward F. Gilman, Ryan W. Klein, and Gail Hansen. Anthurium andraeanum Tailflower, Flamingo Flower, IFAS extension, university of Florida.
4. Gavade, Akshata S; Vambhurkar, Ganesh B; Jagtap, Asha M; Kengar, Manohar D; Jagtap, Nisha M; et al. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences; Raipur Vol. 9, Iss. 1, (Jan-Jun 2018): 4-6.
5. Wadkar KA, Magdum CS and Kondawar MS. Use of Careya arborea Roxb. Leaf Extract as an Indicator in Acid-Base Titrations. Journal: Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4): 535-536.
6. Pimpodkar N, Shikalgar S, Shinde N, Bhise S, Surve B. Rhoeo syathacea and Allamanda cathartic extract as a Natural Indicator in Acidometry-Alkalimetry. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2014; 4(2): 82-84.
7. Nair S and Sheetal P. Eco-friendly Indicator from the Leaf Extract of Alternanthera dentate. Journal: Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(7): 2011.
8. Thote P. Green Chemistry: Study of Acid-Base Indicator Property of Golden Beet Root. International Journal of Research– Granthaalayah. Social Issues and Environmental Problems, 2015; 3(9).
9. Mendham J, Denny R, Barness J, Vogel T. A Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis. New Delhi, 2004; 6th Ed: pp. 335-39.
10. Patil SB, Kondawar MS, Ghodke DS, Naikwade NS and Magdum CS. Use of Flower Extracts as an Indicator in Acid-Base Titrations. Journal: Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009; 2(2).
11. Pathade KS, Patil SB, Kondawar MS, Naikwade NS and Magdum CS. Fruit herbal alternative to synthetic acid base indicators. International Journal of Chem Tech Research CODEN (USA) 2009; 1: 549-51.