U.V radiation destroys the structure of DNA and other essential components of cell. In this study, U.V radiation effect on growth and survival of bacteria were studied. First spread plates of bacteria were prepared and exposed to U.V radiation with different time intervals (0, 2, 4, 6, and 8 minutes), then they are incubated at 37 o C for 24 hours. After incubation, number of colonies was calculated. If increase the U.V exposure time, the colony numbers were slowly decreased. In 8 minutes, treatment 104 colonies were observed. In the control treatment (0 minutes time exposed has 1146 colonies), 2 minutes (452 colonies), 4 minutes (278 colonies), 6 minutes (134 colonies) and 8 minutes (99 colonies) exposure reduce the colony number slowly. This bacterium has more resistant to U.V radiation.
Cite this article:
Sakshi Satyendranarayan Gupta. U.V Radiation Effect on Growth and Survival of Bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2021; 11(1):27-28. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2021.00005.3
1. Yashoda Kambar, Asha M.M., Chaithra M., Prashith Kekuda T.R. Antibacterial Activity of Leaf and Flower Extract of Quisqualis indica Linn. Against Clinical Isolates of Staphylococcus aureus. Research J. Science and Tech. 6 (1): 2014; Page 23-24
2. Narayanan. D. L, Saladi. R. N, Fox. J. L. Ultraviolet radiation and Skin cancer. Int. Nat. Soc. Der. 2010; 49 (9) 978-86.
3. Lena Ahmed Saleh Al-Faqeeh, Rafiuddin Naser, Kagne SR. Determination of antibiotic resistant profiles for bacteria isolated from clinical samples in Aurangabad, India. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13 (8):3813-3816.
4. Yousor Majid Jameel, Ali Abdul Hussein Mahdi, Nihad Khalawe Tektook. New Designing and using Electromagnetic Field Device for drawing bacterial growth map. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12 (9): 4493-4495.
5. Muruganandam. M. J. John S. and Makesh. S. K (2010) Mutant Strain vaccine for Typhoid. Env Eco. 2010; 28 (2B) 1414-1415.
6. Srishti Gupta, Ramyaja Srinivasan, Suneetha V. Evaluating and Checking the quality of various Spices in Aerosol preparation namely VIT R.S.S Aerosol. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11 (12): 5269-5272.
7. C. Anish, S. Ramesh, M. Muthusamy. Development of Multiplex PCR for Staphylococcal Enterotoxin Gene typing and Detection of Enterotoxigenic Staphylococcus aureus. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(10): 4343-4348.
8. Allen John Henry, Sopia Abigail R, Dhandapani R. Evaluation of Disinfectant action on Biofilm Bacteria. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3): 910-912.
9. S. Mohammed Shahid, Nawaz Umar. Spectrum of Antimicrobial Susceptibility of E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus Isolates from Clinical Samples. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(10): 2015; Page 1399-1402.
10. Muthukumaran P, R. Janani. Isolation and Characterization of Lead (Pd) Resistant Staphylococcus aureus from Tannery Effluent Contaminated Site. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 4(4): 2013 page 239-241.
11. V.R. Ravikumar, T. Sudha, P.V. Hemalatha. Anti Microbial Studies on Spirulina platensis. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(3): 228-230
12. K. Kavipriya, A. Maria Therese, A. Felicia Chitra. Effectiveness of Educational Intervention Programme on Knowledge and Behavioral Competence of Methicillin Resistance Staphylococcus Aureus among Nursing OfficersInt. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2019; 7(3):383-385.
13. Veerayeekanna K. N. (2010) Mutant strain vaccine for Staphylococcus aureus. J. Cur. Sci. 2010; 15 (10) 229-32.
14. Yues Le, Florence B and Michel G (2003) Staphylococcus aureus and Food Poisoning. Gen. Mol. Res.2003; 2. 63-76.