Shanthi Diraviyam Shanmugakumar, Anjali, Nasreen Begum, Boga Uday
Esomeprazole, forced degradation, High-performance liquid chromatography, Human Plasma.
Shanthi Diraviyam Shanmugakumar*, Anjali, Nasreen Begum, Boga Uday
Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, Jyothishmathi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Thimmapur, Karimnagar, Telangana. India.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Esomeprazole, an proton pump inhibitor used for the remedy of acid reflux disorders including healing and maintenance of erosive esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease and peptic ulcer disease. It is utilized in a prolonged treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions such as Zollinger –Ellison syndrome. In this study, a novel RP-HPLC method was developed for the determination of esomeprazole both in API and tablets (Esmoz (40mg)), Phenomenex Luna, 5µm C18 100 A? LC column (250X4.6mm) was used at 40?C. Isocratic elution was utilized with acetonitrile: water (96:4v/v) mixture. The flow rate was 1.0mL min-1 and UV detection was at 270nm. The RT value was observed at 3.713 minutes respectively. The developed method was validated according to ICH guidelines and found to be linear within the range of 100-500µg/mL. In similar lines, linearity was achieved by spiking esomeprazole in human plasma within the range of 20-80µg/mL. The developed method was accurate, precise, robust, and rapid. Hence it can be applied for both stability studies and routine quality control analyses.
Cite this article:
Shanthi Diraviyam Shanmugakumar, Anjali, Nasreen Begum, Boga Uday. A Novel RP-HPLC Method for Determination of Esomeprazole in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms in Human Plasma: A Pilot Stress Degradation Study. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2021; 11(1):9-16. doi: Esomeprazole, forced degradation, High-performance liquid chromatography, Human Plasma.
1. Manu Jain S et.al. UV spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of levosulpiride and esomeprazole in the capsule dosage form. Asian J.Pharm. Ana. 2(4), 2012:106-109.2. Thangabalan B et.al. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Acamprosate in pure and tablet dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana.3(4),2013 :141-146.
3. Prachi Gangurde, Sandeep sonawane, Sanjay Kshirsagar, Santhosh Chhajed. Development and validation of HPLC method for the estimation of metaxalone in spiked human plasma. Asian. J.Pharm. Ana. 9(4), 2019:210-214.
4. Madhavi S, Prameela Rani A. Development and validation of a bioanalytical method for the determination of cobicistat from human plasma. Asian.J. Pharm.Ana. 6(4), 2016: 216-226.
5. Tentu Nageswara Rao et.al. Forced degradation study for tolterodine by HPLC with PDA detection. Asian. J.Pharm. Ana. 9(2), 2019 :77-81.
6. Ruhul Kayesh Md. Zakir Sultan. A Novel Ion-Pair RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Quantification of Naproxen and Esomeprazole in Pharmaceutical Formulations, Journal of Chromatographic Science, Volume 53, Issue 5, May/June 2015, Pages 687–693, https://doi.org/10.1093/chromsci/bmu103.
7. Deepak Kumar Jain , Nitesh Jain, Rita Charde, Nilesh Jain. The RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of esomeprazole and naproxen in binary combination. Pharm Methods. 2011 Jul;2(3):167-72. doi: 10.4103/2229-4708.90356.