Empagliflozin and Linagliptin are used together as a fixed dose combination for type II diabetes. It is available as fixed-dose combination tablets in 10:5 and 25:5 (amount in milligrams) of EMPA and LINA, respectively. Two simple chemometrics methods were developed, namely ratio mean centering method and difference between adjacent data point method for the simultaneous estimation of Empagliflozin and Linagliptin in marketed formulation. For the data processing, a simple software program written with Python and MATPLOTLIB was used. Beer’s law is valid in the range of 2-10 µg/ml for Empagliflozin and Linagliptin. The assay results obtained for the marketed formulation were found to be in the range of 98.08 – 99.25% for Empagliflozin and 98.40 – 99.86% for Linagliptin by Ratio mean centering method: Assay results were in the range of 99.90 – 100.92% for Empagliflozin and 99.12 – 102.40% for Linagliptin by Difference between adjacent data point method. The new methods can be successfully employed for the assay of the marketed formulation. To the best of our understanding, this is the first reported green method for analysing Empagliflozin and Linagliptin.
Cite this article:
Ceema Mathew, Sunayana Varma. Green Analytical Methods based on Chemometrics and UV spectroscopy for the simultaneous estimation of Empagliflozin and Linagliptin. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(1):43-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00008
Ceema Mathew, Sunayana Varma. Green Analytical Methods based on Chemometrics and UV spectroscopy for the simultaneous estimation of Empagliflozin and Linagliptin. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(1):43-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00008 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-1-8
1. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a614043-Drugs and Supplements.
4. Sushil D. Patil, Sayali K. Chaure, Maswood Ahmed Hafizur Rahman, Prajkta U. Varpe, Sanjay Kshirsagar. Development and Validation of Simple UV- Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of Empagliflozin. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017; 7(1): 18-22.
5. Shaik Bima Benazir, Jorige Archana, Mogili Sumakanth. Method Development and Validation of Empagliflozin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form using UV Spectroscopy. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(2):123-6.
6. Mounika P Siridevi, Hemant T Kumar, Srinivasa Y Rao, Vara Prasad K Rao. RP-HPLC Method for Quantification of Empagliflozin in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(3):208-211.
7. Sushil D. Patil, Sunil V. Amurutkar, C.D. Upasani. Development and Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Empagliflozin. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2016; 6(4): 201-206.
8. Sushil D Patil, Swapnapurti V Bharambe, Sanjay Kshirsagar. Development and Validation of RP- HPLC Method for Estimation of Empagliflozin and its Stability Studies In vitro Simulated Gastric and Intestinal Fluids. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2019; 9(3):156-160.
9. K. Vijaya Sri, A. Anusha, M. Sudhakar. UV-Spectrophotometry Method for the Estimation of Linagliptin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Asian J. Research Chem. 2016; 9(1): 47-50.
10. K. Vijaya Sri, M. Anusha, S. Ravinder Reddy. A Rapid RP-HPLC Method development and Validation for the Analysis of Linagliptin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 5(1): Jan.- March 2015; Page 16-20.
11. Padmaja N, Veerabhadram G. Development and validation of analytical method for Simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in bulk drugs and combined dosage forms using UV-Visible spectroscopy. Der Pharm. Lett. 2015;7(12):306-312.
12. Amrutiya, FR, Patel BR, Patel JG, Vegad KL, Patel AS, Darji VC. Development and validation of first order derivative UV spectrophotometric method for determinaton of empagliflozin and linagliptin. Int. J. Pharm. Drug Anal.2017;5(4):129-135.
13. Naazneen S and Sridevi A. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in tablet formulation. Der Pharm. Lett. 2016;8(17):57-65.
14. Madhusudhan P, Radhakrishna Reddy M and Devanna N. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous determination of linagliptin and empagliflozin in tablet dosage form. International advanced research journal in science, engineering and technology. 2015;2(2):95-99.
15. Donepudi, Sharmila, and Suneetha Achanta. Validated HPLC-UV method for simultaneous estimation of linagliptin and empagliflozin in human plasma. Int J Appl Pharm.2018;10(3):56-61.
16. Shah, Priyanka A, Pranav S. Shrivastav, and Archana George. Mixed-mode solid phase extraction combined with LC-MS/MS for determination of empagliflozin and linagliptin in human plasma. Microchemical Journal. 2019; 145:523-531.
17. Bhole RP, Wankhede SB, Madhu Pandey. Stability indicating HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in pharmaceutical formulation. Analytical Chemistry Letters 2017;7(1):76-85.
18. Sushil D. Patil, Sayali K. Chaure, Sanjay Kshirsagar. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for Simultaneous estimation of Empagliflozin and Metformin hydrochloride in bulk drugs. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017; 7(2): 117-123.
19. Saroj Gajare, Amar Zalte, Ravindra B. Saudagar. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Determination of Linagliptin and Metformin Hydrochloride in Combined Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017; 7(2): 79-83.
20. T. Naga Ravi Kiran, P. Parvathi, J.N. Suresh Kumar. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Linagliptin, Empagliflozin and Metformin in Solid Dosage Forms. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(3):117-124.
21. Afkhami A, Bahram M. Mean centering of ratio spectra as a new spectrophotometric method for the analysis of binary and ternary mixtures. Talanta. 2005; 66(3):712–720.
22. Afkhami A, Bahram M. Mean centering of ratio kinetic profiles as a novel spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous kinetic analysis of binary mixtures. Anal Chim Acta. 2004; 526(2):211–218.
23. Nejem RM, Issa MM, Shanab AA, Stefan-Van Staden RI, Aboul-Enein HY. New Chemometrics Mode Based on Adjacent Data Points’ Differences for the Simultaneous Determination of Clopidogrel, Atorvastatin, and Aspirin in their Combined Ternary Drug Formulation. Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2014; 82(3):601-615.
24. ICH [Validation of analytical procedure: Methodology (Q2R1)], International Conference on Harmonization, Food and Drug Administration.