A rapid and economic UV spectrophotometric method developed by using a solvent methanol: acetonitrile (48:52) composed together to estimate the ursodeoxycholic acid content in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage formulation. Pre-determined study of ?max is 216nm it was proved linear range of 1.0-10.0µg/ml and exhibited good correlation coefficient (R2=0.992) and excellent mean recovery (98.00-100.05%). This method was successfully applied to the determination of ?max of ursodeoxycholic acid and results were in good agreement with label claims. The method was validated statistically and by recovery studies for linearity, precision, repeatability and reproducibility the obtained result proved that the method can be employed for the routine analysis of ursodexycholic acid in bulks formulation.
Cite this article:
Suraj J. Patil, Sandeep R. Kane, Shrinivas K. Mohite, Chandrakant S. Magdum. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Ursodeoxycholic acid in Bulk Formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2020; 10(3):155-157. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2020.00028.9
1. Hsing-Yun Chang, Ching-Hua Kuo, Shao-Wen Sun. Determination of ursodeoxycholic acid in pharmaceutical Preparations by capillary electrophoresis with indirect UV detection. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 32 (2003) 949-956.
2. M.G. Quaglia, A. Farina, E. Bossu`, C. Dell’Aquila, A. Doldo. The indirect UV detection in the analysis of ursodeoxycholic acid and related compounds by HPCE. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis.16 (1997) 281–285.
3. Yash Devendra bhai Patel, Ashok Peepliwal and Chandrakant G. Bonde. Enhancement of absorptivity of ursodeoxycholic acid. Bulletin of Pharmaceutical Research. 2011; 1(2):1-6.
4. Siladitya Behera, Subha Jit Ghanty, Fahad Ahmad, Saayaksantra and Srito Ma Banerjee, UV-visible spectrophotometric method development and validation of assay of paracetamol tablet formulation, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 0975-8232.
5. Mahfuza Maleque, Md. Raquibul Hasan, Farhad Hossen, Sanjana Safi. Development and validation of a simple UV spectrophotometric method for the determination of levofloxacin both in bulk and marketed dosage formulations. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(6): 454–457.
6. Kudige Nagaraj Prashanth, Kanakapura Basavaiah, CijoMadatil Xavier. Development and validation of UV-spectrophotometric methods for the determination of sumatriptan succinate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form and its degradation behavior under varied stress conditions. Journal of the Association of Arab Universities for Basic and Applied Sciences. (2014) 15, 43–52.
7. Jinendra M. Sonpetkar, Deval V. Joshi, Nakul B. Patel and Mansi J. Wagdarikar. UV-spectrophotometric method for estimation of secnidazole in bulk and tablet dosage form. IJPSR. 2012; Vol. 3(2): 536-538.
8. Joyani Das, Manabendra Dhua. UV-Spectrophotometric Assay Method Development and Validation of Metronidazole in Bulk and Tablet Formulation. Journal of PharmaSciTech. Volume 3 (Issue 2) 2014: 2321- 4376.
9. Mohammad Yunoos, D. Gowrisankar, B. Pragatikumar and Shahulh Ameed. UV Spectrophotometric Method for the Estimation of Tadalafil in Bulk and Tablet Dosage form. E-Journal of Chemistry, 2010, 7(3), 833-836.
10. M.G. Quaglia, A. Farina, E. Bossu`, C. Dell’Aquila, A. Doldo. The indirect UV detection in the analysis of ursodeoxycholic acid and related compounds by HPCE. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis.16 (1997) 281–285.
11. Kiran Sharma a, S. S. Agrawal, Monica Gupta. Development and Validation of UV spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Curcumin in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. International Journal of Drug Development & Research. April-June 2012 Vol. 4 Issue 2, 0975-9344.
12. Ashraf M. Mahmoud, Hanaa M. Abdel-Wadood, Niveen A. Mohamed. Kinetic spectrophotometric method for determination of amlodipine besylate in its pharmaceutical tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(5):334–341.
13. Tarek S. Belal, Hoda G. Daabees, Magdi M. Abdel-Khalek, Mohamed S. Mahrous, Mona M. Khamis, New simple spectrophotometric method for determination of the binary mixtures (atorvastatin calcium and ezetimibe; candesartancilexetil and hydrochlorothiazide) in tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(2):118–126.
14. Praveen N. Naik, Sharanappa T. Nandibewoor, Shivamurthi A. Chimatadar, Non covalent binding analysis of sulfamethoxazole to human serum albumin: Fluorescence spectroscopy, UV–vis, FT-IR, voltammetric and molecular modeling. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(3):143–152.
15. Vinit Chavhan, Kavya Reddy, Kashmira Ahhirao, Development of UV spectrophotometric methods and alidation for estimation of simvastatin in bulk and tablet dosage form by absorbance maxima and area under the curve method. J APP Pharm Vol. 6; Issue 1: 55-64; January, 2014.
16. M.S. Kondawar, K.G. Kamble, K.H. Maharshi, M.M. Khandare, UV Spectrophotometric estimation of Ezetimibe and Feno fibrate in Bulk drug and Dosage form using Simultaneous Equation Method. International Journal of ChemTech Research. Vol. 3, No.2, 749-754.
17. Vikas Kekan, Sachin Gholve, Omprakash Bhusnure, Development, Validation and Stability Study of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Daclatasvirin Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. International Journal of ChemTech Research.Vol.10 No.5, pp 281-287.
18. Ahmedmahdisaeed and Noorqasim Ahmed, Estimation of paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, codeine and caffeine in some formulated commercial dosage using UV – spectroscopic method. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 4(7), 33-38, 2017.
19. Sandhya Bhimrao Lahane, Dr.U.A. Deokate, development and validated UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of albendazole in tablet dosage form. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. Volume 3, Issue 4, 1461-1467.