Solubility is a crucial factor during estimation of poorly soluble drugs. Literature survey reveals spectrophotometric estimation of poorly soluble drugs are mostly done by employing organic solvents. The drawbacks of organic solvents include higher cost, toxicity, pollution and error due to volatility. Hydrotropic solubilisation method involves increasing the solubility of a poorly soluble drug in water with the addition of hydrotropic agents. Most of NSAIDs like Meloxicam, Mefenamic acid, Aceclofenacetc are poorly soluble in water. Meloxicam was found to be soluble in mixed hydrotropic solution of 10% sodium benzoate and 10% sodium caprylate with maximum absorbance at 364 nm. The developed method was found to be linear in the range of 2-10 µg/ml with correlation coefficient (R2) of 0.9968. The LOD and LOQ of proposed method was found to be 0.2634 µg/ml and 0.7983 µg/ml respectively. A novel, simple, safe, sensitive and cost-effective spectrophotometric estimation method was developed for estimation of Meloxicam using 10% sodium benzoate and 10% sodium caprylate as hydrotropic agent. This solubilization method can be employed to preclude the use of organic solvents for the estimation of poorly soluble drugs.
Cite this article:
Sreenath R, Remi S L. An Ecofriendly Novel Spectrophotometric Estimation and Validation of Meloxicam in Bulk Drug and their Dosage Form by mixed Hydrotropic Solubilization Method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(3):175-9. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00028
Sreenath R, Remi S L. An Ecofriendly Novel Spectrophotometric Estimation and Validation of Meloxicam in Bulk Drug and their Dosage Form by mixed Hydrotropic Solubilization Method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2023; 13(3):175-9. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2023.00028 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-3-4
1. Tripathi K D. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD. New Delhi. 2003;(5):221
2. Maheshwari RK, Jagwani Y. Mixed Hydrotropy: Novel Science of Solubility Enhancement. Ind J Pharm Sci. 2011; 73 (2): 179-83.
3. Kumar GS, Kumar DA, Babu MN, Debnath S, Ishwarya B, Jyothi G, Kumar DS, Bhavani P, Anjiah D, Kumar GS. Eco-friendly spectrophotometric estimation of gliclazide using hydrotropic solubilization technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2019; 9(2):45-8.
4. Dahiya J, Singh A, Gupta SK, Kumar B. Spectrophotometric estimation of dextromethorphan in bulk drug using hydrotropic solubilization technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(3):90-3.
5. Patil SS, Barhate SD, Patil AS, Patil AV, Patil HK, Salunke PA, Wagh RS. Novel Mixed Hydrotropic Solubilisation technique for Analytical method development and validation of Acyclovir in bulk and tablet formulation by Spectrophotometry. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2019; 9(1):25-9.
6. Waghmare A, Taware G, Baokar S, Undare S. Ecofriendly Validated Spectrophotometric Method for the Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate by using Hydrotropic Solubilization Method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2019; 9(1):8-10.
7. Rani NU, Keerthana K, Mitha M, Kumar SS, Kotamma K, Kiran TM. New spectroscopic method for estimation of atorvastatin tablets using hydrotropic solubilization technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(2):100-4.
8. Dhandapani B, Eswara MS, Susrutha N, Rama S, Rani S, Sarath T, Seetharamanjaneyulu G, Celestin R. Spectrophotometric estimation of meloxicam in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulations. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research (IJPSR) 2010; 1: 217-21.
9. Velpandian T, Jaiswal J, Bhardwaj RK, Gupta SK. Development and validation of a new high-performance liquid chromatographic estimation method of meloxicam in biological samples. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 2000; 738(2): 431-6.
10. Desai N, Amin P. Stability indicating HPTLC determination of meloxicam. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2008; 70(5): 644.
11. Hasan SH, Othman NS, Surchi KM. Development and Validation of a UV-Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Meloxicam in Bulk and in TabletFormulations. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research. 2015; 6(7):1040-45.
12. Redasani VK, Patel PS, Chhajed CF, Surana SS. Quantitative Determination of Meloxicam in bulk and in tablet by UV-Spectrophotometry. International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis. 2014;2(3).
13. Arayne MS, Sultana N, Siddiqui FA. A new RP-HPLC method for analysis of meloxicam in tablets. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2005; 18(1): 58-62.
14. PubChem. Meloxicam [Internet]. Nih.gov. [cited 2023 Apr 25]. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Meloxicam
15. ICH. Q2A Validation of analytical procedure- Guidelines, Methodology, International Conference on Harmonization. Steering Committee, Geneva: 1994: 6-13