Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is a disorder distinguished by resisting insulin effects and/or its reduced secretion leading to high blood sugar levels. It is fast becoming epidemic worldwide and is a major cause of death in the past years. Maintaining a correct blood sugar level is the primary target in the management of T2DM. Developing a single analytical method for estimation of individual drug from a multidrug composition is a very challenging task. A complexation, derivatization, extraction, evaporation and sensitive-free direct a new, simple, precise, accurate, reproducible, and efficient UV spectrophotometric method is developed and validated for the simultaneous estimation of ternary mixture of metformin (MET), saxagliptin (SXG) and dapagliflozin (DGF) in both their bulk form and combined in tablet dosage form recently approved by FDA in 2019 to be used for treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus by simultaneous equation method. The solutions of standard and sample were prepared in methanol: water (80:20 v/v). The ??max for MET, SXG, and DGF were 232.0, 212.0 and 272.0nm, respectively. Calibration curves are linear in the concentration ranges 10-50??g/ml for MET, 1-5??g/ml for SXG and 5-25??g/ml for DGF, respectively. Results of analysis of simultaneous equation method were analyzed and validated for various parameters according to ICH guidelines.
Cite this article:
Priya Barbude, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange. Method Development using a UV Visible Spectrophotometer for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin (MET), Saxagliptin (SXG), and Dapagliflozin (DGF) in Marketed Formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(4):243-7. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00039
Priya Barbude, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange. Method Development using a UV Visible Spectrophotometer for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin (MET), Saxagliptin (SXG), and Dapagliflozin (DGF) in Marketed Formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(4):243-7. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00039 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-4
1. Shaw J.E., Sicree R.A., Zimmet P.Z., Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes, Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract., 2010, 87,4-14.
2. Patil PR, Rakesh SU, Dhabale PN, Burade KB. Simultaneous estimation of ramipril and amlodipine by UV spectrophotometric method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009;2(2):304-7.
3. F.B. Hu, J.E. Manson, M.J. Stampfer, et al., Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women, N. Engl. J. Med. 345 (2001) 790–797.
4. Shah R, Magdum C, Patil SK, Chougule DK, Naikwade N. Validated spectroscopic method for estimation of aceclofenac from tablet formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(4):430-2.
5. A.J. Scheen, The safety of Gliptins: updated data in 2018, Exp. Opin. Drug Saf. 17 (4) (2018) 387–405.
6. Sushma G, Sri Harsha D, Mukthinuthalapati MA. New first derivative spectrophotometric methods for the determination of Sitagliptin-An antidiabetic agent. Res J Pharm Technol. 2020 Jun 1;13:2838-42.
7. Jose M, Baby S, Mathew D, Muhammed N, Jayalakshmi PM. Phytochemical Analysis and In-vitro Anti-Diabetic and Anti-Inflammatory study of root extract of Apamasiliquosa LAMK. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Nov 30;14(11):5838-42.
8. D. Jain, S. Jain, D. Jain, et al., Simultaneous estimation of Metformin Hydrochloride, Pioglitazone Hydrochloride, and Glimepiride by RP-HPLC in tablet formulation, J. Chromatogr. Sci. 46 (7) (2008) 501–504.
9. A.F. Aubry, H. Gu, R. Magnier, et al., Validated LC–MS/MS methods for the determination of Dapagliflozin, a sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor in normal and ZDF rat plasma, Bioanalysis 2 (12) (2010) 2001–2009.
10. Vaddiraju N, Ajitha M, Rajnarayana K, Godela R. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of novel R1, R2 substituted 2-(4-((2-(4-alkoxyphenyl)-5-methyloxazol-4-yl) methyl)-1-alkyl-5-methyl-1H-pyrazol-3-yloxy)-6-(hydroxymethyl) tetrahydro-2H-pyran-3, 4, 5-triol having Anti Diabetic activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 Feb 26;15(2):591-7.
11. Annapurna MM, Naik RR, Pratyusha SM. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of compounds: Application to an anti-diabetic formulation of Teneligliptin and Metformin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(4):1938-42.
12. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.
13. Prasad PBN, Satyanaryana K, Krishnamohan G. Development and Validation of a Method for Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Saxagliptin in a Formulation by RP-HPLC. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2015; (6): 841-850.
14. Patel PD, Pandya SS. Validated RP – HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Dapagliflozin and Saxagliptin Hydrochloride in Tablet Dosage Form. International Journal for Pharmaceutical Research Scholars. 2018; 7 (1): 9-15.
15. Maruthi R, Chandan RS, Barath M, Datta GN, D'silva M, Kumari KM, Ahmad F, Geetha R. Analytical method development and validation of teneligliptin by UV spectroscopy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(1):75-8.
16. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 1;14(3):1535-41.
17. Reddy Padmaja B, Sivagami B, Sireesha R, Chandrasekar R, Niranjan babu M. A Highly Validated RP-HPLC Method Development for the Simultaneous Estimation of Dapagliflozin and Saxagliptin in Tablet Dosage Forms. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Drug Res. 2018; 10(5): 372-378.
18. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and characterization of phase transition system of zolmitriptan hydrochloride for nasal drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
19. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
20. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020; 6(2):94-100.
21. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-50.
22. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and evaluation of sustained release beads of zolmitriptan hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Dec 30; 12(12):5972-6.
23. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1; 55(3): S672-80.
24. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and evaluation of oral dispersible strips of teneligliptin hydrobromide for treatment of diabetes mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1): 4745-52.
25. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian journal of pharmaceutical education and research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.