Arun Maruti Kashid, Pranali Prakash Polshettiwar, Kshitija Maruti Bhosale
Arun Maruti Kashid1*, Pranali Prakash Polshettiwar2, Kshitija Maruti Bhosale2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Sinhgad Institute of Pharmacy, Narhe, Pune, Maharashtra, India – 41.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance, Sinhgad Institute of Pharmacy, Narhe, Pune, Maharashtra, India – 41.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Drug analysis is crucial in the discovery, production, and therapeutic use of pharmaceuticals. Standard analytical procedures for newer medications or formulations may not be available in Pharmacopoeias; thus, newer analytical methods that are accurate, precise, specific, linear, simple, and rapid must be developed. A rapid, simple, sensitive, precise, and cost-effective RP-UHPLC method was developed and validated for the determination of Teriflunomide Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) in this study. The method involved determination of Teriflunomide by resolving on RP-UHPLC using Sunniest C18 (250mm × 4.6mm, 5µm) column, utilizing a mobile phase of ACN: Water in the ratio of 60:40 v/v. The mobile phase was delivered with an isocratic flow rate of 1.0ml/minute. Ultra violet detection was carried out at 210nm. The retention time was optimized to 4. 4 minutes. The linearity range of Teriflunomide 35 to 247µg/ml was found to obey linearity with a correlation coefficient of 0.999. The LOD and LOQ were found to be 1.61µg/ml and 4.90µg/ml respectively and precision data was found to be <2 %RSD. The percentage recovery range was found to be satisfied which is represented in the results. The robustness studies were performed by changing the flow rate and mobile phase compositions. The method was validated for system suitability, specificity, linearity, precision, accuracy, Limit of Detection, Limit of Quantification and robustness. The developed method can be applied for the quality control of commercial teriflunomide API.
Cite this article:
Arun Maruti Kashid, Pranali Prakash Polshettiwar, Kshitija Maruti Bhosale. Analytical Method Development and Validation of Teriflunomide Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient by RP-UHPLC. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(3):166-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00028
Arun Maruti Kashid, Pranali Prakash Polshettiwar, Kshitija Maruti Bhosale. Analytical Method Development and Validation of Teriflunomide Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient by RP-UHPLC. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022; 12(3):166-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00028 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-2
1. Oh J, O’Connor PW. ‘Teriflunomide’. Neurology: Clinical Practice. 2013;3(3):254-60. doi.org/10.1212/cpj.0b013e318296f299
2. Cada DJ. et al. Teriflunomide. Hospital Pharmacy. 2013;48(3):231-40. doi.org/10.1310/hpj4803-231
3. Kalincik T. et al. Comparison of fingolimod, dimethyl fumarate and teriflunomide for multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurosurgery & Psychiatry. 2019;90(4):458-68. doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2018-319831
4. Beheshti A. et al. Development and validation of a reversed-phase HPLC method for determination of assay content of teriflunomide by the aid of BOMD simulations. Current Chemistry Letters. 2021;10(3):281-94. doi.org/10.5267/j.ccl.2021.3.001
5. Garg R. et al. Uplc method development and validation for cefditoren pivoxil in active pharmaceutical ingredient. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2011;1(7):149-53.
6. Babu KD. et al.RP-HPLC analytical method development and validation of Terifluomide in tablet dosage form. Acta Biomedica Scientia. 2018;5(2):123-26.
7. Nadella NP. Et al. Quality-by-design-based development and validation of a stability-indicating UPLC method for quantification of teriflunomide in the presence of degradation products and its application to in-vitro dissolution. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies. 2017;40(10):517-27. doi.org/10.1080/10826076.2017.1330211
8. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). 2005. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline Validation of analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1).
9. Al-Amri KA. et al. Development and validation of a UPLC method for quantification of antiviral agent, Acyclovir in lipid-based formulations. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2019;12(7):1707-14. doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2014.08.024
10. Swartz ME. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies UPLC: An Introduction and Review. Journal of Liquid Cromatography and Related Technologies. 2005;37-41.
11. Bhavya M. et al. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLCmethod for estimation of teriflunomide in active pharmaceutical ingredient. Pharma. Innov. 2017;6(9):440-49.
12. Reddy YR. et al. RP-UPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of ibuprofen and famotidine in pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharm Methods. 2017;3(2):57-61. doi.org/10.4103/2229-4708.103873
13. Razi SB. et al. An HPLC Method for detection of Anti-inflammatory Drugs in Bone and Cartilage health supplements. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2020;10(2):67-76. doi.org/10.5958/2231-5675.2020.00012.5