A fast, sensitive, and reliable RP-HPLC method involving cyberlab HPLC System with PDA detection was developed and validated for the quantification of Aclidinium bromide and Formoterol fumarate in inhalation preparations. Chromatography was performed on the Inertsil -ODS C18 (250 x 4.6mm, 5µ) column using filtered and mixed degassed methanol: buffer (75:25 v/v) as a mobile phase with a flow rate of 1.0mL/min and the column effluent was monitored at 240nm. Retention times for Aclidinium bromide 4.713min and Formoterol fumarate 6.691min. The method obeyed linearity in the concentration range of 20-80µg/mL for the two drugs when validated according to standard procedures.
Cite this article:
Devadasu Ch, Bharani V. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Analysis of Aclidinium Bromide and Formoterol Fumarate in Pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(2):63-9. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00012
Devadasu Ch, Bharani V. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Analysis of Aclidinium Bromide and Formoterol Fumarate in Pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2021; 11(2):63-9. doi: 10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00012 Available on: https://ajpaonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-2-2
1. Jones P. Aclidinium bromide twice daily for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a review. Advances in therapy. 2013; 30(4): 354-68.
2. Demircigil B, Yılmaz S. Electrochemical behavior of formoterol fumarate and its determination in capsules for inhalation and human serum using differential-pulse and square-wave volatmmetry. Electroanalysis. 2002; 14(2): 122–127.
3. Kamimura H, Sasaki H, Higuchi S, Shiobara Y. Quantitative determination of the β-adrenoceptor stimulant formoterol in urine by gas chromatography mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 1982; 229(2): 337–345.
4. Gousuddin M, Raju SA, Sultanuddin MS. Development and validation of spectrophotometric methods for estimation of formoterol bulk drug and its pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; 3: 300–309.
5. Hassib ST, El-Zaher AA, Fouad MA. Validated stability-indicating derivative and derivative ratio methods for the determination of some drugs used to alleviate respiratory tract disorders and their degradation products. Drug Testing and Analysis. 2011; 3(5): 306–318.
6. El-Bagary RI, Fouad MA, Manal A, Tolba EH. Forced degradation of mometasone furoate and development of two RP-HPLC methods for its determination with formoterol fumarate on salicylic acid. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2016; 9(3): 493–505.
7. Assi KH, Tarsin W, Chrystyn H. High performance liquid chromatography assay method for simultaneous quantitation of formoterol and budesonide in Symbicort Turbuhaler. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2006; 41(1): 325–328.
8. Parmar VK, Patel HN, Patel BK. Sensitive, and robust methods, for simultaneous determination of beclomethasone dipropionate and formoterol fumarate dihydrate in rotacaps. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2014; 52(10): 1255–1266.
9. Rizk M, Sultan M, Talaat N, Youssef N. A validated TLC—densitometric method for the simultaneous determination of formoterol fumarate and budesonide in pressurized metered-dose inhaler. JPC-Journal of Planar Chromatography-Modern TLC. 2017; 30(1): 63–67.
10. Merey HA, El-Mosallamy SS, Hassan NY, El-Zeany BA. Validated chromatographic methods for the simultaneous determination of Mometasone furoate and Formoterol fumarate dihydrate in a combined dosage form. Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University. 2016; 54(1): 99–106.
11. Gowda R. Simultaneous RP-HPLC method for determination of impurities in formoterol fumarate and aclidinium bromide in pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; (3)3: 1005.
12. Shyamala S, Sai Kala G, Sravani A, Anusha T, Srikanth K. Validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of aclidinium and formoterol in bulk drug and dosage form. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2020; 9(4): 242-247.
13. International Conference on Harmonization, Q2 (R1), Harmonised tripartite guidelines, Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, Geneva, November, 2005.