In the presented work the Ultra-high Performance Liquid Chromatographic Time-of-flight Mass Spectrometric (UHPLC/Q-TOF-MS) method has been developed and validated for Simultaneous determination of Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARBs) Antihypertensive Drugs such as Losartan, Telmisartan, Valsartan, and Candesartan. The chromatographic separation was achieved on Acquity UPLCTM BEH C18 (100.0 × 2.1mm, 1.7µm) column using isocratic mobile phase consisting of acetonitrile-2mM ammonium acetate (50:50, v/v) at a flow rate of 0.25mL/min. The Q-TOF mass spectrometer was operated in negative ionization mode and mass spectra were obtained by selecting the MS/MS transitions at m/z 421.20 to 127.00 for Losartan, m/z 513.16 to 469.13 for Telmisartan, m/z 434.50 to 255.50 for Valsartan, and m/z 439.10 to 309.90 for Candesartan. The fragmentation mechanism was established on the basis of mass spectra of drugs. The method was applied for pharmacokinetic study of these drugs in human plasma.
Cite this article:
Hamid Khan. UHPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Determination of Antihypertensive Drugs and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2021; 11(1):22-26. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2021.00004.1
1. Plumb R, Castro-Perez J, Granger J, Beattie I, Joncour K, Wright A. Ultra performance liquid chromatography coupled to quadrupole-orthogonal time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 2004; 18(19): 2331-2337.
2. Khan H, Ali J. UHPLC/Q-TOF-MS: Introduction and Applications. Letters in Organic Chemistry, 2015; 12 (6): 371-378.
3. Khan H, Analytical Method Development in Pharmaceutical Research: Steps Involved in HPLC Method Development. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 7(3): 203-207.
4. Khan H, Ali J. UHPLC: Applications in Pharmaceutical Analysis. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017; 7(2):124-131.
5. Khan H, Ali J. Identification of Impurities and Degradation Products in Pharmaceutical Products- Role of Hyphenated Techniques. Asian J. Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017, 7(1): 31-35.
6. Khan H, Ali J. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS method for simultaneous determination of aceclofenac, paracetamol and chlorzoxazone in human plasma and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017; 7(2): 93-99.
7. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS method for simultaneous determination of metformin, glimepiride and pioglitazone in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017, 7(1): 27-32.
8. Khan H, Ali J. UHPLC-PDA method for simultaneous determination of Sartans antihypertensive drugs. Asian Journal Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2020; 10(1):7-10.
9. Khan H, Ali J. UHPLC: Applications in Pharmaceutical Analysis. Asian J. Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2017; 7(2), 124-131.
10. Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biologicals, 14th edition, Merck Research Laboratories, Merck and Co., Inc., White House Station, NJ, USA, 2006; pp. 1569.
11. British Pharmacopoeia. HMSO: London, 2008, pp. 1036-1037.
12. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J, Application of Validated HPTLC method for dissolution study of FDC tablets containing Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10(4):1149-1154.
13. Khan H, Ali J. Formulation and In-Vitro Evaluation of a Sustained Release Matrix Tablet of Telmisartan. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage form and Technology, 2017; 9(1):19-23.
14. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Application of Validated HPTLC method for dissolution study of FDC tablets containing Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10(4):1149-1154.
15. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Formulation and In-Vitro Evaluation of FDC Bilayer Matrix Tablets Containing Telmisartan as Sustained Release and Hydrochlorothiazide as Immediate Release. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10(4):1085-1090.
16. Bondre SV, Chavan RS, Raut ID, Mohite SK, Magdum CS. An overview survey on antihypertensive drugs. Asian J Pharm Research, 2020; 10(3):160-162.
17. Rao RN, Raju SS, Vali RM, Sankar GG. Liquid chromatography mass spectrometric determination of Losartan and its active metabolite on dried blood spot. Journal of Chromatography B, 2012; 902: 47-54.
18. Choi Y, Kim J, Ban E, Park JS, Kim CK. Determination of Losartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-MS): Application to bioequivalence study. J. Liq. Chromatogr. Related Technol., 2008; 31(17): 2643-2656.
19. Shah HJ, Kundlik ML, Patel DM, Suhagia BN, Patel CN. Rapid determination of losartan and lasartan acid in human plasma by multiplexed LC-MS/MS. J. Separation Science, 2009; 32 (20): 3388-3394.
20. Alam MA, Abou obaid NI, Ibrahim MA, Raish M, Al-Jenoobi FI. A validated UPLC-Tandem triple quadrupole mass spectrometric method for fast determination of losartan in rabbit plasma. J Chromatogr Sci, 2019; 57(4): 323-330.
21. Wani TA, Zargar S. New highly sensitive ultra-performance liquid chromatography mass spectrometry method for quantification of telmisartan in human plasma. Tropical J. Pharm. Research, 2015; 14(3): 511-518.
22. Chen B, Liang Y, Wang Y, Deng F, Zhou P, Guo F, Huang L. Development and validation of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method for the determination of telmisartan in human plasma. Analytica Chimica Acta, 2005; 540 (2): 367-375.
23. Varghese SJ, Ravi TK. Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Atorvastatin and Telmisartan in Human Plasma. Analytical Chemistry Letters, 2019; 9(4): 552-563.
24. Li P, Wang Y, Wang Y, Tang Y, Fawcett JP, Cui Y, Gu J. Determination of telmisartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B, 2005; 828 (1-2):126-129.
25. Yan T, Li H, Deng L, Guo Y, Yu W, Fawcett JP, Zhang D, Cui Y, Gu J. Liquid chromatographic-tamdem mass spectrometric method for the simultaneous quantitation of telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal, 2008; 48(4): 1225-1229.
26. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Application of Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Telmisartan, Hydrochlorothiazide and their Degradation Products in Tablets. Asian J Research Pharm Sci., 2017; 7(2): 105-111.
27. Khan, H. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Anti-hypertensive and Diuretic Drugs in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. World J. Pharmacy and Pharm. Sci., 2018; 7(6): 751-763
28. Khan H, Ali M, Ahuja A, Ali J. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Human Plasma. Res. J. Pharm Technol, 2016; 9 (9): 1441-1446.
29. Fei L, Zhang J, Xu Y, Gao S, Guo Q. Simultaneous determination of valsartan and hydrochorothiazide in human plasma by LC-Tandem mass spectrometry. Analytical Letters, 2008; 41(8):1348-1365.
30. Li H, Wang Y, Jiang Y, Tang Y, Wang J, Zhao L, Gu J. A liquid chromatography/ tandem mass spectrometry method for simultaneous quantification of valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma. J Chromatography B, 2007; 852(1-2): 436-442.
31. Shah HJ, Kataria NB, Subbaiah G, Patel CN. Simultaneous LC-MS-MS Analysis of Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Human Plasma. Chromatographia, 2009; 69(9-10): 1055-1060.
32. Khan, H. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Human Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Study. European J Biomed Pharm Sci, 2019; 6(12): 322-326.
33. Lou HG, Ruan ZR, Jiang Bo. Determination of Candesartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and its application to bioequivalence study. J Liq Chrom & Related Technol, 2012; 35(8):1027-1037.
34. Forjan V, Maricic C, Prosen H. Determination of Candesartan in human plasma with liquid chromatography-Tandem mass spectrometry. Acta Chim Slov, 2016; 63(1): 38-46.
35. Prajapati ST, Patel PK, Chauhan VB, Patel CN, Patel M. Development and validation of the liquid chromatography-Tandem mass spectrometry method for quantitative estimation of Candesartan from human plasma. Pharmaceutical methods, 2011; 2(2): 130-134.
36. Khan H. Validated UPLC/Q-TOF-MS Method for structural identification and quantitative determination of antihypertensive drugs. World J Pharm Research, 2019; 8(13): 849-856.
37. International Conference on Harmonization, ICH Q2 (R1), Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and methodology, Geneva, 2005.